[ SHOWGSD-L ] Tucson

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 23:02:27 EST

I was waiting for my catalog, but it is being mailed to me, and I don't  know
who many of the winners were, but maybe I can redo it after I get my  catalog.

I will say what I remember.  The Winner's dog was a dry hard moving  dog with
a great front, strong back and extreme rear. He worked up to more and  more
exciting movement, and was clean coming and going. I wasn't blown away by  his
head, but he may have been a young dog. I thought maybe he was new to the
ring, but then found out he finished that day. I don't think I had ever seen
him
before.

My winner's bitch was a bitch that I used to think was not that fancy. But
she moved like a machine, and when posed was all I could ask for in meeting the
 standard. She has improved over the last six months, and now will not be out
of  the winner's circle. I didn't realize it, but I gave her her first points
at  this show.  She was in perfect condition and was groomed to perfection.
The  handler let the lead drop and drag, and the bitch never missed a step. I
was  tempted to see how long she would look that good, but I was afraid it
might  start raining again, so I picked her.  The winner's Bitch class was one
where I could have gone with any one of them.  I did say to the handlers,  "Who
wants it, I could go with any one of you."

My Reserve winner's bitch was the most extreme mover in the show. She was
not consistent with her timing, but when she was on, she covered the ground
better than any of the other bitches. The decision was made between her and the

winner's bitch on type, and when this bitch matures she is going to be a big
winner. I told the owner she was a national type bitch and I meant it.  I
understand she won the next day, and I could have predicted that.

My best puppy was my reserve winner's bitch I think.  It was an easy  call,
and my ring steward had to remind me that I had two bitches and one male
puppy, and the choice of best opposite was easy, and the male puppy was
deserving
of the win.

In Breed the quality was great, and yet an easy call. This dog I did know,
his name is Nitro. I loved this dog as a puppy, and hadn't seen him in quite a
while.  I wondered if the owners would ever show him under me, and this was
the first time.  When he came in the ring, I knew he would be hard to beat.  I
watched him move and couldn't think of any reason for him not to be Best of
Breed. Then I put my hands on him. It was like grabbing a piece of rock and he
 looked at me as if to say, "Don't you dare think about not giving me the
breed."  I didn't put him in front first so as to see what he looked like if he
wasn't  leading, and it didn't make any difference.  This dog is one that has
it  all, and is a pleasure to judge.

My Best Opposite Sex was Showtime. Now, I loved this bitch from the time I
saw her at a match when she was about four months old.  She walks into the
ring, and tells you that you cannot ignore her. I asked the handler to let her
stand loose, not so I could judge her, but so I could just have time to enjoy
seeing the standard in person.  I had judged this bitch before, and I think  I
may even have seen her finish the week before.  It is hard to imagine a
bitch that has more ring presence, and more "type".

I had a Junior Handler that was sent into the ring with a dog without
perfect temperament. She dealt with it perfectly, working hard to show the
bitch
with great grace. She had a hand on the dog that was a joy to watch. I told her

after the show that if she want to, and continues to handle she will be one
of  the best.

When we started the show it was raining but by open Dogs the sun came
through and it was a great show and terrific handlers, and everyone having a
good
time. The after show dinner had over 50 people there and it was great to  have
Lew join us with his daughter, who I had wanted to meet since she moved to
California. You can imagine Lew and I exchanging jokes, and Tedi threw in one
now and then when she got a chance to say anything.

If every show was like this, I would judge 52 weeks a year.  This is a  club
that is not in trouble, and one you should try to get to if you get a  chance.
 They have invited both Tedi and I to judge now, and we both had a  great
time.

When I get the catalog I will fill in the names, but if someone could do it
first, I would appreciate it.

Evan
_Asgard German  Shepherds_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement  and Temperament come together