[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Trouble in Paradise

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: mlgray@xxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 17:27:19 EST

Awwww,    Mike..

.Backyard breeders (byb) coined by AR people and accepted and used by all.
People who breed w/out a plan, their own two dogs or a dog down the street,
and advertise in the local paper or in the local stores.   If the pups don't
sell, they often get dumped in the pound.   No health concerns or checks, and
not
concern for "bettering the breed".

Puppymills, another AR coined word that is now universally accepted, but is
now used to denote ANY breeder who breeds more than a couple litters a year,
and sometimes them.   Generally, the substandard large volume breeders,not
inspected or licensed, house their animal in despicable conditions and breed
anything to anything,   not matter the health of the parents.   Some of these
substandard breeders sell to brokers who "legitimatize" the animals and do sell
them
to pet stores.

Large volume breeders who are Inspected and licensed are the major suppliers
of petstores.   There is a certain amount of concern for establishing
pedigrees, there are certain health checks and inspection of facilities for
cleanliness.   But the animals are "stock" and the care and concern is the same
that the
breeders would use for "stock".   The animals are usuall kept in cages most
of their lives and sold at auctions.   There is a history of why these large
volume breeders got started, and mUCH of it is because we bought into the AR
message that breeding more than a couple of litters a year is BAD, and selling
our dogs on limited registrations is GOOD.

Not all byb breeders are bad people, some care for their dogs, just want an
extra income w/out paying stud fees and have the belief that a dog should be
able to conceive and give birth w/out much help from humans.   Or want their
kids to see pups, or juts want ONE litter from their darling cute Fluffy.
And
remember, a lot of stock dogs are bred "over the back fence" to improve the
quality of the animals that take care of the cattle/sheep/etc.   Those breeders
don't care that AKC, UKC, ASCA think they are wrong.   They know what two dogs
they want to put together and it isn't for the beauty of the pedigree :-)

JMO on a lazy Sunday afternoon

Stormy
 a message dated 12/23/07 1:00:19 PM, mlgray@xxxxxxxx writes:

> I thought that was where pet stores obtained their dogs to sell, BYB. I
> would not personally consider anyone on this list that I would get a puppy
> from a BYB, but then again, I belong to the choir so why preach. Go get
> Terry.
> Mike Gray

"You may never know what results come from your action.
But if you do nothing, there will be no result."
                                           Mahatma Gandhi
Stormy Hope
www.FairhopeGSD.www

See AOL's top rated recipes