[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Treasurer...

  • From: Robert Neiman <bnbgsds2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Laurie Pruett <pruett@xxxxxxxxx>, List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 13:55:33 -0800 (PST)

Laurie,
  Do you hold a current CPA license? That I believe is one of the requirements
for the office. Before someone gets all upset it's just a question.
  Bob Neiman
<hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
term. Whether or not I do that is up to the GSDCA board. While I am next
(as far as I know) on the ladder system based upon the results of the
election, that was for serving on the board at large, not as treasurer.
The board must appoint any vacant officer position, with the exception of
president. The VP moves up to a vacant president's position on the board.

> I hadn't intended for this to be public until the board decides what they
want to do. However, since it has "hit the list" I will tell you all that:

> I have a B.S. in accounting (4.0 GPA) from the University of Maine at
Augusta (as well as a B.S in Animal Science from the University of Maine
at Orono)
> I served for 16 years as volunteer treasurer of our local humane society
(one of the largest in the state) where I converted them from a manual
bookkeeping system to QuickBooks. I did a fair amount of the bookkeeping
myself, including a weekly payroll.
> I am currently VP of Finance for the Augusta campus of the University of
Maine System where I have responsibility for $30 M or so in annual
expenditures. I've worked in higher education financial administration for
30 years in a variety of positions, including being bursar (in charge of
student billing and collections where I handled LOTS of money).

> I have health issues that will likely keep me from doing this job long
term. But, right now my health allows me to take this on if the board so
desires. My goal would be to involve enough people in the GSDCA's
financial affairs so that transitioning to a new treasurer will be
transparent when I move on. It is never good for an organization to rely
too heavily on any one individual. There needs to be redundancy,
especially with a position as critical to an organization as that of
treasurer.