[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Training a stud dog

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: arelee@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 10:40:29 EST

In a message dated 12/3/2005 9:38:03 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
arelee@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Watch  quietly??? Kathy I almost fell off my chair, laughing when thinking of
that  scerario with any of my stud dogs of the past.
They knew when their "date"  arrived, and they don't stop the noise until
they "met."
Of course the  stud who wasn't on the "dance card", makes the most noise. I
usually had to  make sure he was crated, out of view, smell, and  hearing
range......otherewise there would be no quiet!  The surounding  hils would
have been alive with the sound of howling !!!! LOL
I never  (as I recall) had more than 2 studs on the property, if there were
other  males , they were younger, not expierenced  etc.

Nahhhhh, lol.  I have 5 boys here now, 3 proven 2 babies.  The  babies are
put in a pen, allowed to "watch" from a distance, their eyes get  all  big and
round...silly really, but no noise.  I have a separate  building for the gal,
and naturally when she is out in a paddock, the boys are  in, so no noise,
really.  Cody paces, but Justin doesn't bat an eyelash  unless the girl is for
him.  If you say, "not for you, honey", he sighs a  lot though.  JR just sits
at
the door and stares at you. I don't think he  blinks, <G>.

The one I feel sorry for is Becky.  I just bred a girl a month ago,  the baby
boys got to "watch", then they came in and tried to see if Becky,  almost 8
and spayed, wanted to play the new game:) When she was adamant in her  refusal,
they "asked" Mattie.  Lesson #1, timing is everything, lol;)  The older boys
looked on with amusement at the babies antics. They sure  are funny!

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_