[ SHOWGSD-L ] Train 'em

  • From: WLFHRTGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:22:30 EST

Just my opinion, but I do believe training dogs for the conformation ring is
valuable, no matter what ring you are showing in - AB or specialty.

We ALL train our dogs to a certain extent, based on what we do or do NOT do
from the time they are puppies.  How far we go seems to be the question.  All
of my dogs, show or not, have been trained to have their mouths examined.  That
is very basic, and every dog should be trained to let someone look at their
teeth and take something out of their mouth.  You can't do a good job on nails
if the dog won't allow you to touch their feet.  Standing STILL for exam is
essential for the show ring AND the vet's office.

A lot of folks who send their dogs with handlers do let the handler work with
the dogs prior to their show career.  If you use one handler exclusively that
works because then the handler can train the dog to their way of presenting
the dog to the judge.

Lots of folks (those who watch the ring but are not judging) can be impressed
by a dog tearing wildly around the ring -- but hard and fast does not equal
good.  Our standard calls for a flying trot -- not running around in  fear of
ghosts.  (Please don't think I'm saying a fast dog is fearful - I'm using this
as a point.)

As someone who has occasionally had the need to take in my own dog, it's much
better for me to HAVE a dog who knows that "turn left" means "don't crash
into the ropes or try and run out of the ring"

I had many years in obedience before I started showing in breed, and once I
learned what speed my dog(s) look best at, I have given that speed a name
(fast, slow, etc.) and used it for the conformation ring.  Now, they know what
MY
change of pace means.

Many judges want to see at least one pass on a LOOSE lead -- it's much easier
to give it a name (command) and have the dog LEARN.

Not even our best specialty judges can judge a dog that you are wearing on
your back around the ring.  I've seen a lot of judges who do give considerable
latitude to puppies, wanting the experience to be pleasurable for the puppy.
But with entries down from even five or ten years ago, many dogs do not even
begin their show careers until they are in Am Bred or Open.  By the time they
are physically mature enough to compete for points, they ought to be able to
perform properly in the ring.

If that's the case, why wait until they are two years old before trying to
get them to behave?  It's entirely possible to teach your own dog to pull out
in
front of you even if YOU are showing them.

I can't think of any handler that I know who wants to trip over a dog that
crosses in front, can't corner, or stops dead upon seeing their owner ringside.

I've also never seen any judge that is amused by an Open dog who pulls their
handler off their feet in attempt to see "how much can I get away with."  (I
had a dog that DID do exactly that with a new handler; he was almost minored
out already and I had someone brand new showing him, and the dog decided to
test
the handler.  The dog stepped off the mat, rolled head over heels and
finished sprawled in front of the judge, who was NOT impressed.)

Again, I think the question is not "to train or not to train" but "how much
training and who does it."

Not everyone is capable of training their own dogs for the show ring, and if
that is the case, then talk to your handler and see what they want.  If you
are new, then it becomes doubly important to speak to your handler and/or
breeder, and let them help you.

Also - remember there a lot of JUNIORS who would be happy to work with your
dog -- and in order to retain amateur status, they cannot accept pay.  These
young stars, who will, in ten years, be some of the top GSD handlers in the
country, need our help.  Why not help them, and help yourself, by letting them
work with your dog?  Most juniors have a parent or mentor that IS a handler,
and
EVERYONE benefits -- you, your dog, and most importantly, we are securing the
future of our breed.  How many of us will be stepping into the ring ten or
twenty years from now?  And how many of our now top handlers will still be
exhibiting in ten or twenty years?

Boy did I turn the corner on that thread!  From training to Juniors!  Just
trying to move fast enough to stay ahead of the flames - LOL!

Kelly Busse
Wolfheart German Shepherds