[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Tragedy at Harrisonburg Dog Shows

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: gsprock@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:26:59 EDT

This sounds really weird to me.  It's made the rounds on another list
too....it strikes me as odd that the vets were able to rule out heat and/or
carbon
monoxide, the "at fault" causes BUT on the other hand said not to  expect much
from the tox screens...(I've had blood work and tox screens within a  day,
locally they send them out to human hospitals.  It's a pretty penny,  but I
can't imagine EVER being told not to expect much; they're quite
extensive...real
CSI stuff.)

I'll be curious as to the "rest of the story". I can tell you if I  owned one
of those dogs "we may never know" wouldn't fly.

In a message dated 6/15/2007 12:45:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
gsprock@xxxxxxx writes:
My  friend Kerrin Churchill sent me this, and I'm sharing it with you.
--Gail Sprock

Dear Dog Friends,  Many of you will already know  the tragic story of
Beth and Mark Carr's French Bulldogs.
The  following letter was sent by a friend of the Carr's, a notice to
all  of us
to watch our dogs very carefully at the shows.
This is just  terrible - and very, very sad..
my heart just breaks for these  people.  ---Kerrin

I am writing this to let you know what  happened.

We were at the Harrisonburg shows over the weekend.  We  left to head
home
on Monday. We stopped around 4:00 to x the dogs  and everyone was fine.
We then went on to meet a client and pick up a dog  to show around
9:30 PM.  We were
tired and decided to spend  the night.  We went to x the dogs and and
they were dead!
We  did everything we could and nothing helped.  We spent the rest of
the night driving home.

We contacted the clients and they came out  to the the house. We
contacted
the insurance thru our program and  the vets office.  They had us
bring 2 of
the dogs in to be  tested and  have pathology done. By the time we drove
home the vet had  the priliminary tests done and called us. They ruled
out
carbon  monoxide and they ruled out heat prostration. They did
biopsies and gastric  contents to be sent off for further testing. They
wanted us to know that  they felt that the dogs had been poisoned!
and that we should be aware that  many of the drugs today
cannot be detected and they ordered tox screens  done but not to
expect it to show much.

Needless to say we  are devastated!.....the insurance that we carry only
covers the clients  dogs and that just somehow doesn't seem to make a
difference...We had 7 of  our dogs that were also poisoned, it was
over 20
years of work  and sacrifice destroyed and we are virtually out of
business
as  far as our line of French Bulldogs goes!!!!   Whoever did this  was
very
calculated in that they left the old and non-productive  dogs, they are
fine, not a problem at all. It is so hard to believe that  some sick
individual would actually poison
these defensless  animals in their own crates in their own vehicle  what
sense does this  make??? They never hurt anyone and could not have
defended
themselves.  I never even gave this a thought, I just  don't think that
way...I was shocked when the Vet called!!!!!

I  don't know what we are going to do,,,,we need some kind of help but I
don't  know what?

With all of the medical bills that Mark's had over the last  year and now
with this, I just don't know, I just don't know how much more  we can
take.

My real purpose in writing was to have you send  out a notice to all
of the
members to be aware of what happened  to us, the real story, as you
know the
rumor mill will be working  overtime on this one!  and to put them on the
defensive and to be  extra careful out there with their dogs...No one
should
have to  go thru what we have been thru for the past 2 days and will
continue to go  thru for who knows how long.  We are  devastated to loose
our  kids and our entire breeding program but most of all our life as we
know it  is gone!!!

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds