[ SHOWGSD-L ] Tragedy at Harrisonburg Dog Shows

  • From: Gail Sprock <gsprock@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ShowGSD List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 09:25:34 -0700

My friend Kerrin Churchill sent me this, and I'm sharing it with you.
--Gail Sprock

Dear Dog Friends,  Many of you will already know the tragic story of
Beth and Mark Carr's French Bulldogs.
The following letter was sent by a friend of the Carr's, a notice to
all of us
to watch our dogs very carefully at the shows.
This is just terrible - and very, very sad..
my heart just breaks for these people.  ---Kerrin

I am writing this to let you know what happened.

We were at the Harrisonburg shows over the weekend.  We left to head
home
on Monday. We stopped around 4:00 to x the dogs and everyone was fine.
We then went on to meet a client and pick up a dog to show around
9:30 PM.  We were
tired and decided to spend the night.  We went to x the dogs and and
they were dead!
We did everything we could and nothing helped.  We spent the rest of
the night driving home.

We contacted the clients and they came out to the the house. We
contacted
the insurance thru our program and the vets office.  They had us
bring 2 of
the dogs in to be tested and  have pathology done. By the time we drove
home the vet had the priliminary tests done and called us. They ruled
out
carbon monoxide and they ruled out heat prostration. They did
biopsies and gastric contents to be sent off for further testing. They
wanted us to know that they felt that the dogs had been poisoned!
and that we should be aware that many of the drugs today
cannot be detected and they ordered tox screens done but not to
expect it to show much.

Needless to say we are devastated!.....the insurance that we carry only
covers the clients dogs and that just somehow doesn't seem to make a
difference...We had 7 of our dogs that were also poisoned, it was
over 20
years of work and sacrifice destroyed and we are virtually out of
business
as far as our line of French Bulldogs goes!!!!   Whoever did this was
very
calculated in that they left the old and non-productive dogs, they are
fine, not a problem at all. It is so hard to believe that some sick
individual would actually poison
these defensless animals in their own crates in their own vehicle  what
sense does this make??? They never hurt anyone and could not have
defended
themselves.  I never even gave this a thought, I just don't think that
way...I was shocked when the Vet called!!!!!

I don't know what we are going to do,,,,we need some kind of help but I
don't know what?

With all of the medical bills that Mark's had over the last year and now
with this, I just don't know, I just don't know how much more we can
take.

My real purpose in writing was to have you send out a notice to all
of the
members to be aware of what happened to us, the real story, as you
know the
rumor mill will be working overtime on this one!  and to put them on the
defensive and to be extra careful out there with their dogs...No one
should
have to go thru what we have been thru for the past 2 days and will
continue to go thru for who knows how long.  We are  devastated to loose
our kids and our entire breeding program but most of all our life as we
know it is gone!!!