[ SHOWGSD-L ] Toxic Gut Syndrome/Mesenteric Torsion

  • From: Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx
  • To: amergsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 16:35:38 EDT

  To all German Shepherd Fanciers:
  I have been in contact with Dr. Chuck Krueger and  I am sending on, at his
request, the updated article he wrote...As many of you know, Dr. Krueger was a
Pioneer in the work on  this Disease... He approaches it from the perspective
of a Breeder and a Veternarian..
  Because I am so vitally interested in Torsion and solving this terrible
Health problem  fpr  such a long time,  we have compared notes and we have been

looking at  Toxic Gut and Mesenteric Torsion , as a possible  singular
Disease... It is a matter of which comes first, the Chicken or the Egg???
However... we agree the bottom line is the  Pancreas..which Dr. Krueger
orignally
suggested was the underlying Disease and everything that came after, was  a
result
of that failure of the Pancreas to  produce the necessary Digestive Enzymes
for the Canine Gut to function normally. So that  EPI...(Exocrine Pancreatic
Insufficiency)  sets up the Intestines for failure... Then we have SIBO (Small
Intestinal bacterial overgrowth) rear it's ugly head... So...the   condition is
set to cause eventual death of the intestines , with or without torsion of
the Mesenteric Root.

  At this point we both Strongly recommend that every German  Shepherd
particularly the breeding stock, be tested for cTLI   as young as 6 months to
one
year of age. This will give a baseline upon which to further test... and
compare
results...

 We know for sure and certain that PAA and the resultant EPI are caused from
the Pancreas failure.. We also KNOW that in the German Shepherd Breed, PAA/EPI
is GENETIC and that  Shepherds affected with PAA/EPI   WILL PASS A COPY OF
THE DEFECTIVE GENE TO ALL OFFSPRING.  Which means ALL  their progeny will be
Affected   OR be  Carriers..That is Very Extremely  Disturbing and Very
Extremely
Dangerous for the Future of this German Shepherd Breed...

  This Year the Health & Genetics Committee will  hopefully have a Blue Book,
modeled after and following  the great example of Helen Scootie Sherlock, who
was the Devoted  Chairman of the Genetics Committee in the
Past.....Hopefully, every  other year after this one,  the Chairman of that
Committee will be
dedicated to producing one.

   Dr. Krueger and  I both strongly and whole-heartedly  advise everyone
breeding to have a cTLI test done , early-on, and followed up with consecutive
ones, as often the early ones do not yet reflect the deterioration of the
Pancreas itself, and the subsequent lack of Enzymes resulting in a failure to
keep
our German Shepherd's healthy with strong Digestive Systems.
But you can establish a baseline with such tests and that is valubale to
diagnose any loss of enzymes, etc.. in the future..I am sorry this is so
long...But the Health  and Longevity of Our German Shepherd 's future depends
upon you
all taking heed... Thank You...Barbara Williams..GSDCA H& G Chairman