[ SHOWGSD-L ] Toxic Gut Syndrome (aka leaky gut)

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 23:42:24 -0400 (EDT)

Learn something new every day.  Last week I was unfortunate enough to  hear
of 3 dogs dying of this disease.

Before anyone start pointing fingers, let me start by saying that 2 of
these dogs were rescue dogs, and I have no earthly clue of what their breeding
was, just that they were littermates and were always together and somehow I
 lucked out by finding them a home that took the 2 of them.

Sadly, last week, one torsioned and one died of toxic gut.  I have  zero
experience with toxic gut, so I asked my vet, whom I trust completely, whom
while performing surgery, discussed this issue with 2 other vets and they
agree  that toxic gut per se is not a diagnosis, but a result of......fill the
blank......and after sending him the information I found on the Internet,
and  after his own research, he insist that there is no genetic pre
disposition to  toxic gut, because toxic gut is a result of many different
health
problems.

Then, not satisfied, I paid for a consult with a different vet.  Lo  and
behold, her exact words were "toxic gut is not a diagnosis, is a product of
xyz problem"

This family is mourning these 2 dogs, and mom would like to adopt another
GSD, but dad is gun shy, not wanting to go thru this again as their vet
tells  them this is specifically a GSD problem.

The third case was closer to home, a very young dog, and I cant figure out
where the problem is.
Of course, my vets and some breeders I've talked to tell me, sometimes,
S**T happens, there is no explanation.

30+ years in the breed, I've never seen this.

Any thoughts?

* Ileana  *
Love me, love my dogs.