[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Toxic Gut Syndrome

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: Stormy435@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 08:58:23 EST

No, no, no, no, no!  Don't blame yourself.  Dogs are SUPPOSED to  be able to
run, play, work, (even in dirt and dust!) without dying two hours  later.

What are we supposed to do, bundle them up in cotton sheeting??????

I'm thinking about a herding trial I attended in July a few years back in
DE.  HOT, dusty, etc.  We had an AM trial and a PM trial and I had 4  dogs
entered in both.  Did I say HOT????  Two, (a mother/son combo)  are
particularly
tough on sheep so to wear them out, in between trials, I took  them indoors to
horse/cattle arena and threw their ball for a while.  Did  I say DUSTY?

There may be contributing factors, what some would  call a "trigger",  (and
I've heard 'em all, stress, dehydration, a bitch in heat, barometric  pressure,
etc., etc., etc.), but these triggers aren't  the REASON a dog  died.  The
genetic makeup had a fatal weakness and the sooner  folks stop blaming
triggers,
and take a HARD and HONEST look at pedigrees,  the better off the breed will
be.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds

In a message dated 1/17/2009 10:10:31 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
stormy435@xxxxxxx writes:

Our  first GSD died of what you are describing as toxic gut.  The autopsy
showed and overwhelming amount of bacteria.  Not BAD bacteria, but normal
bacteria.  The vet at the time gave me a name of ideopathic hemorrhagic
GastroEnteritis.  Wilhelmina (Willie), 10 months old at the time,  and I had
spent 1/2
an hour or so throwing and retrieving the frisbee on  a lot that a lot of dogs
used, a dusty dirty lot and I am assuming Willie  picked up a lot of the dust
and dirt as I played with her, and dumb me, not  knowing a lot about young
dogs, probably overdid it.
As soon as she got in  the back of the car, she threw up a bunch of dirt...
that was about 4:30.  By 5:30, she was bleeding rectally.  At the vets,she was
shocking  and  she was immediately put on IV's and antibiotics.  Had to move
her to the nighttime ER and took Iv's and all.  By 11:30, the vets called  and
said she didn't make it.

So, too young for the hard dirty play,  probably dehydration, dirt, bacteria
went overload and a very hard  lesson  learned.

Stormy

steps!
cemailfooterNO62)