[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Tough Dogs to Handle

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 20:27:39 EST

In a message dated 1/4/2007 5:41:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
helen@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Barb was  spot on about the temperament way back then and how careful we were
slaping a  friend on the back or reaching suddenly.  The dogs were tougher
and the  handlers used care.

When I read Kate's original question, I wasn't sure how to interpret
"tough".  "Tough" temperament?  "Tough to handle" (since she  references
majors) as
in going too hard, being a real bundle of energy??

As for a dog you have to be wary about reaching for something/someone
suddenly, IMO, if they react badly to that they either (a) have a screw loose
or
(b) have no confidence in their person's ability to lead, so to speak. The
first would take a one way trip to the vets and the second would learn real
quick
they didn't have to lead.

Had a puppy customer call all puffed up with importance, proud that  his
youngster would go out in front of him on walks and bark at strangers.
Thought
he was "protecting" him.  No, I said, he's disrespecting you.   What???  Of
course.  He doesn't feel like you're in charge, so he  needs to be.  (And the
customer was told in no uncertain terms to stop it  now!)

I wouldn't tolerate it.

Justin wouldn't be more than inches from my 2 1/2 year old nephew New  Year's
Day and was CONSTANTLY underfoot, in the way.  By accident, dad  stepped on
his foot.  He yelped, but he certainly wouldn't have dreamed of  biting.  What
did you do with these so called "tough" dogs if someone  stepped on them?  Or
did you have to put them up when company came?

I've had judges and children alike fall on my dogs.  (The judges  tripped
over indoor matting.) Use care?  IMO, they shouldn't have to.   I expect my
dogs
to be intelligent enough to DISCRIMINATE between foe and an  anomaly.  What
did you do with these so called "tough" dogs that you  couldn't make quick
motions around when there was a learning or physically  impaired child or adult
around with the accompanying unusual (to them)  movements?  I guess they didn't
make good therapy dogs and I'm sure they  didn't get to go to schools.

Males that are male aggressive with the excuse that they are looking for a
girl?  No, no, and no.  Can't/won't tolerate a dog aggressive dog  either, and
libido isn't measured by that nonsense.  Remember, GSDs were  the original
utilitarian family farm and herding dog, later war dogs.  How  long do you
think
a sheep farmer would tolerate a dog that wanted to fight? (My  intact males
herd with other intact males, and you don't have to ask them twice  to breed a
bitch.  Two different activities.) What good would a messenger  dog be in a war
if he was to stop and fight with another dog along the  way?

Now, in the show world, we do have a lot of dogs that are frequently
kenneled, have little to no interaction with their own kind and are sorely
lacking
doggie social skills.  That's a problem IMO created by the  (really false)
environment some folks create for their dogs, and it's often made  worse by
allowing dogs that are kenneled to fence run/fight, but even if the  aggression
towards other dogs can be partially blamed on the environment created  for the
dog, I still can't tolerate it. Posturing in the ring?  What next,  sparring
like terriers?

But back to Kate's question.  I've had more than my share that were  tough to
handle in that they had wwwaaaayyyyyy more energy than they  needed.  Those
got up very early in the AM the day of the show and  exercised for a few hours
running the hills and chasing chipmunks to work off  some of their "badness".
Of course, I'd have to hide and not double  either!

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_