[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Totally Awesome Select GSD's :-)

  • From: Theresa-GSD Stolz-Scenecrest Farm <scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lfossland@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 11:20:14 -0800 (PST)

Is it not true though there are ways to prepare for the temperament tests ahead
of time?  If a GSD does not become rattled by anything or anyone would that
not prove their temperament?

I read and heard that years ago when Max von Stephanitz
judged conformation classes that he would have someone shoot a gun off and the
dogs that reacted in fear would be excused.  That could not be done today but
loud noises do show whether a dog is of sound temperament.  How many GSD's
today are afraid
of thunder?  How many put their tails between there legs when someone
approaches them or backs away when being judged?  You do not need a temperament
test to prove these GSD's are not of stable temperament.

As Capi proved to everyone when he was shown at the Westmister Dog Show this
year that he was a good temperament GSD accepting children or anyone that
approached him.  Got along with others in the ring be it a person or dog, the
yelling of everyone in the crowd did not faze him that is a good dog to be
proud of.

Theresa

From: Liane Fossland <lfossland@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Totally Awesome Select GSD's :-)
To: pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Monday, March 5, 2012, 1:04 PM

Sometimes there are circumstances which are beyond the control of the owner
or handler of the dog. It may not necessarily be a temperament issue. We all
know that this could happen to any of our dogs and I am sure it has.
Lee F.