[ SHOWGSD-L ] Topeka

  • From: "Oak&Carrie Smith" <osmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 21:04:09 -0600

So it took us awhile but we are finally back home and almost back to normal
after the Nationals.

First I would like to say a huge THANK YOU to Sherry McKinnon for letting me
show her beautiful puppy bitch in the new 4-6 class. What a great girl, the
whole idea was to have fun and we ran the big ring and we went Best Puppy.
Sherry got lots of offers to buy that puppy afterwards and she was looking
for a great home for her but I think now she just might keep her and take a
co-owner on.
Not bad for an old fat guy, I could hear Evan cheering me on as I thought
about how long the ring looks from on the field when way up in the stands it
looks so small!   :{)

The facility in Topeka is great. A more centrally located place I cannot
imagine.
Stalls were not too far from the ring, bathing facilities for the dogs were
convenient, thanks to the Fasano's we had grass to run on and it lasted and
was good right through the BOB on Saturday.
The RV site was close and although there were no water hook-ups there were
no problems. Also the grass to walk them on was huge, abundant, tree shaded,
and almost unused by the Topeka locals.
What was exceptionally nice for yours truly, who likes a bit of rum and a
beer after a hard day of watching the best GSD's in the country was that the
Host Hotel was only a walk across the site's parking lot. A massive hotel
that I would of sworn, on Saturday night, was at least a half mile long.

There was not a BAD SEAT in the whole arena!! I cannot stress this enough.
Absolutely comfortable seats, with backs, made for one of the best shows I
have ever attended from a spectators view point. Obedience was in the same
building and got to see Shannon Canard go Obedience Victor with her boy at
their very first Nationals. He won the event by 1/2 point. We invited them
over to our set up for social hour and it was great getting to known Shannon
as well as her husband Chris.
While conformation showed on grass obedience showed on astro turf and the
consensus in an informal poll of participants was that the surface could not
have been nicer and was recommended for conformation by the users of the
obedience trials.

The dogs were awesome!! We were pulling for Fletcher as we have a Fletcher
daughter but after many go rounds Ed finally put Eli up front and left him
there. After last year in Utah we thought he really deserved it so got to
see 2 great dogs go head to head for MANY go rounds.
And it was historic to say the least to see the Grand Victor and the Grand
Victrix be littermates!!! I would have to just stop breeding after that
cause how could it get any better???

Last before I sign off, a good story about our new President Frank Fasano.
Now I only ever see all you people once a year at nationals and as anyone
who knows me can attest names are not my strong suite. So on Tuesday night
at the reception I spy someone who looks familiar across the room So I
proceed to go up and say hello to who I think is Richard Sottile. "Richard."
I exclaim, "how good to see you again. Hope your dogs are fine and that the
last year has treated you well. We'll talk again later." Off I go around the
room until I bump into Carrie and in the course of our conversation I tell
her I have bumped into Richard Sottile. "Really?" she says, "I didn't see
him."
"Why sure just right over there." I point.
Carrie laughs and tells me what a fool I am as that is Frank Fasano not
Richard.
Well embarrassed I was and so went over and apologized for calling him
Richard.
Then for the rest of the show I got to calling him every name I could think
up but Frank every time I saw him, and that was a lot as his dogs were doing
exceptionally well and he was often in the spot light so to speak.
I told Jamie Walker about it and she declared she would also call him by
other names when she saw him. Don't know if she did but it was probably a
strange couple of days for Frank.
On his part he would call me by any name but Oak.
A good person to take such a ribbing from a stranger and I really
appreciated, as I think every one of the exhibitors did too, the sod we all
ran around on.

Oak

Carrie & Oak Smith
Oak Ridge German Shepherds