[ SHOWGSD-L ] Tonights HSUS Meeting

  • From: "Daryl Lauffer" <daryllauffer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 00:11:00 -0700

Fran and I attended a meeting tonight sponsored by HSUS with Congressman
Perlmutter from Colorado.  HSUS covered the current Federal Legislation they
are pushing.  None of it at this point has to do with dogs.  HOWEVER, they
did say that another PAWS type legislation is in the works for this year.
The two people from HSUS couldn't give any specifics as to how the
legislation will read but they did say that the sponsors of the bill will be
Senators Durbin and Whitfield.

The first half of the meeting was directed at how to lobby as a private
citizen.  I've said before and will say again that to be effect you must NOT
get EMOTIONAL.  These are very emotional topics but you aren't taken
seriously if you don't provide facts.  The Perlmutter said that they all
check your facts and if they aren't accurate they won't listen to you in the
future.  They also pay more attention to phone calls than emails and
letters.

HSUS did state that they are aligned with the Doris Day group.  Perlmutter
has a designer dog, a puggle and knows nothing about Breed Specific
Legislation or the issues we are concerned with.  Tells me we need to be
more proactive about educating them.

I would suggest if any of you have an opportunity to go to one of their
meetings it will give you insight into how they think and operate.  I'd also
suggest that you check their websites.  What they are doing is on there.
They also have a separate legislative branch you can find at www.fund.org.
You might also want to get to know your lobbyist if you have one associated
with any of your groups.  The lobbyist from the Colorado Federation of Dog
Clubs was an embarrassment and had absolutely no clue what she was talking
about.
Dee Lauffer

Don?t miss your chance to WIN 10 hours of private jet travel from Microsoft®