[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Tom Castriota Passing

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 14:27:54 -0400

    Since Georgie's announcement, I've checked the computer a couple of
times to see if anyone commented about Tom's passing.  In the meantime,
as I prepare for another weekend away from home, I have been remembering
the years I knew Tom...the first decade, I think, maybe two, we got into
an argument almost every time we got near one another...and then we got
to be friends.  He wasn't one to hand out compliments easily, but he
didn't hesitate to compliment (or disparage) anyone if he thought it
mattered, therefore, compliments from him were much appreciated.
          I was remembering a show in all breed New York a few years
ago, pretty much in Tom's back yard,  where I watched Shepherds being
judged by someone who obviously didn't have a clue.  Tom was at ringside
a few feet away from where I was sitting (with Linda Selmon, if I
remember correctly), and his facial expressions said so clearly what he
thought of what was happening in the ring...I was in hysterics, laughing
at Tom that day...and afterward, his pithy comments were just as funny,
if a sad comment on the judging, which happened to be terrible!
       My favorite comment from him, even more than personal
compliments, is from the Boardwalk weekend where I took my Chianti for
her first shows....the first day she didn't really know what was
expected of her, and it showed.  The second day, she was a pro...could
probably have done the whole thing by herself without Trisha!  After the
judging, when several of us were outside in the cold, Tom and Sandy came
out, ready to leave, and Tom said, after congratulating me on my girl's
win, "That dog is too smart...she had it all figured out toda!"  Of
course, he had to get in his little teaser:  so he said "She's probably
smarter than you are!"  And he just laughed and laughed.  After that
day, he always asked me about her and gave me a hard time about not
finishing her.
    He was one of a kind.  We didn't always agree, but we each knew
where the other was coming from, and I'm sorry he's gone.
Peggy