[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Toe nail problems

  • From: DestinoGS1@xxxxxxx
  • To: gsdramey@xxxxxxx, eremshep@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 08:55:25 EDT

Di,

Has she checked the base of the nail where it attaches to the toe?  I
realize that the vet said it isn't fungus, but I've seen dogs with a nail bed
infection.  I would trim the nails that she can back, so they don't touch
the ground, stand the dog in a betadine solution, and give her fish oil
capsules.  I mixed up the betadine in a small pan with a little warm water  and
placed the feet into the mixture for a minute and let it soak into the  foot.
 Fish oil will boost her immune system.  Tell her to purchase a  gallon of
the betadine, it is less expensive that way and make sure it is  SOLUTION
not scrub.  The solution you do not have to rinse  off. I purchased it from
KV Vet Supply.  Also be sure to keep the  soaking up every day.  I did it for
about two weeks.  The problem left  and has never returned. I did not use
the drug for fungus as it is hard on  the kidneys and the dog was older.

Mary Gattone

Home of  :
V Ilay vom Nordkristall Sch H III, Kkl 1 Lbz
Charlott vom Hauswalder  Bach Sch H III, Kkl 1
Mistral von Bad-Boll
Harris-Hummer v.d.  Ianhoeve
Hadja v.d. Ianhoeve
Breeder/owner of 14 Champions, 2 Selects, 3  ROMs, 3 C.D., and a National
Futurity Victor

"If you think  you're a person of some influence,
try ordering someone else's dog around."

In a message dated 7/27/2009 8:48:23 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
gsdramey@xxxxxxx writes:

I have a  couple ideas -- change to a different Vet and/or treat this
condition
as you suggest below since it seems the same symptoms are  obvious.    NR