[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Today for now and yesterday for whatever you want it to be

  • From: Colleen Donnelly <gsdsforlife@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx, ELG440@xxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 20:50:59 -0500 (EST)

Ohhhh come on! You're wrong Evan. The health of this breed is NOT better from
"years ago". You must be looking at this from your own little corner.  Take in
the BIG picture and you will see.....

It just blows my mind when I hear a judge/breeder say that in this day.

Colleen Donnelly
Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx wrote:
In a message dated 11/30/04 3:39:38 PM Pacific Standard Time, ELG440@xxxxxxx
writes:

<<
Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx writes:
> So !!!
> .No one can tell me the Health is better!!!!

I can and I do. I remember Scorpio, and all the torsion. I remember whole
kennels being put down because they discovered everyone had elbows that
would
not pass. I remember litter being put down because Pen Hipp said they had
bad
hips.

If you ask for only letters about health problems all you will get is health
problems in those letters. I remember a judge who sat in juvenile court
telling me every kid he saw as a delinquent. I guess so.

I just see things better than ever. I talk to breeders, I judge the shows,
attend every national, and to me the breed is better than ever, with a long
way to go.

But, that's just my opinion. The fact that it is correct should not
discourage anyone from saying otherwise.

Evan
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament come together

======================================================== >>
Evan:

Are you saying we have no Bloat/Torsion problems today?

That Scorpio was the one and only Shepherd that sired progeny that died of
bloat/torsion?

That I only hear about Health problems because that is all I am requesting
to receive information about is Shepherds with Health problems ??

How many Stud dog owners and breeders are going to discuss their Shepherds
Health problems with you at Nationals, Specialty Shows, etc??? Frankly, I
doubt very many of them... I am not directing that to you, personally, I am
saying very few discuss those problems even with their closest confidants..

If you do not know we have a Very Serious Bloat/Torsion problem today in
our Shepherds, I find that absolutely amazing!!! I'm serious!!!

I do not recall people having to put down entire litters in the past with
bad elbows. That must have been on your watch. When did that start? Seriously,
I am very interested.

But when breeders have dogs at stud with dysplastic elbows they shouldn't be
surprised when some of their progeny are affected with ED. Or, their dogs
at Stud have Sires and/or Dams, or siblings, with ED they can very well
pass it on .

I do know today breeders may have to put down several in a litter due to
Mega . That is becoming tragically and increasingly common. A Genetic health
problem, practically unknown in early days breedings..

The true and serious problem facing us today as serious breeders, is this:
Many of our lines are genetically saturated with particular Health problems.
Our Gene Pool is small and does not give us a lot of 'wiggle room'...
Therefor we need to be very honest with each other and discuss the problems in
our
litters, so that we do not double-up on a serious life-threatening health risk.
For example: If you know there is Mega in your Stud dog's bloodline and he
has produced it, then you must certainly screen every bitch brought to him to
be absolutely certain neither she nor her bloodline produces Mega..Eventually
and at least, we can hopefully, while not eliminating it, perhaps we can
put it on the genetic backburner. By continued vigilance, control it's
incidence in a litter. it is a small step forward.

This has been my Life's work..The Health of the German Shepherd Breed.. I am
dedicated and devoted to it and I recognize it is a deadly problem today and
we need to address it and do something about before it is too late.

There are many, many who agree with me, and many on this List, who have been
devastated with health Issues and tragic events regarding their Beloved
Shepherds... and have experienced terrible and sad problems..they hesitate to
come forth because of the hell-fire and brimstone that they would endure.

So I speak for them, because , to me, I do not care what anyone thinks of
me...because ignoring the problems , to me, would be breaking a Sacred
Covenant and Devotion, to this, my Beloved German Shepherd Breed. Barb Williams
POST is Copyrighted 2004. All material remains the property of the original