[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: To breed or not to breed.....that is the question!

  • From: DPiagentin@xxxxxxx
  • To: uwish@xxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 18:51:33 EST

In a message dated 12/13/2007 6:27:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
uwish@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
OK then,  you own a beautifully bred GVX, Select, Champion, ROM or just a
darn good  looking, well bred specimen of the breed and she comes in
season.   The usual question..........who do you breed her to?  So you've
been  watching the career of this gorgeous hunk of a dog who you think
would  produce marvelous puppies with your girl.  He doesn't live too far
away, so getting to him won't be a problem.  His stud fee is in the
"normal" range, so you won't be breaking the bank.   He's  available for
public stud to approved bitches......no problem  there.   Everything says
"GO" except for one BIG  problem...............you dislike his owner.
Now what do you  do?  Do you swallow your pride and pick up that phone
hoping the kennel help answers so you can make arrangements through
him? Or do you forget about breeding to this dog who you love because
of who owns him?
answer:                 I would pick up the phone and talk to the owner or
whoever is handling the stud  service on this dog, a beautiful dog worthy of
being added to my pedigree is  just that and it doesn't matter who owns the dog.

Now on  the opposite side of the coin, lets pretend you
are the stud dog owner of  a great dog.  Someone wants to breed to him
and is bringing you a top  bitch..............only problem is, you
dislike her owner.  Do you  set up the breeding anyway or lie and say
he's all booked up for the time  she's due to be bred?  Do we let
personal feelings get in the way of  potential good breedings or do we
look the other way knowing the puppies  will get the best show homes
possible?  What would you do?   Barbara

answer:              If said top bitch has all her tests, and cultures, and
her temperament is great,  there would be no problem with my doing said
breeding. The only other concern  would be that the pups would go to the best
homes
possible even if they do not  turn out to be show prospects.  As we all know
not all pups in a litter are  mini Champions.

       I don't let personal feelings get in  the way of my breedings, and the
above theoretical scenerio did happen with  me,  and the person had a
beautiful litter.

 Diane, good questions!