[ SHOWGSD-L ] To Test or Not to Test

  • From: EKOLAN1@xxxxxxx
  • To: LEWIEB@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 22:42:43 EST

  I have been doing a loose lead temp. test Since 1966 when I got my license
from AKC. The only changes I had to make when the GSDCA made the rule was when
I did the test I used to do the test after teeth testicle and coming and
going this gave the dogs time to settle in. Very often it was not necessary for
me
even to touch the dog you could see the confidence or fear as you approached.
Also as I approach I talk to the dog in a friendly manner. I am sure there
were dogs with borderline temp.s that got by me but not many. What's more
important I don't think I made an otherwise good dog look bad by challenging
intimidating or startling them. Whatever the outcome of this discussion I
believe I
will continue to judge in the same manner I have for the last 39 years.
Respectfully

                   Fred Migliore