[ SHOWGSD-L ] To Join the GSDCA or not?

  • From: DKARLOFF@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:30:48 EDT

A while back we had this discussion - I wrote some notes and read/kept many
comments.  Below is but a compilation of these thoughts as expressed  by many
GSDCA members.

Best always,

Dania Karloff
GSDCA Membership Committee

---------

I have been mulling a response to  this post for a couple of days but I have
not been able to come up with any  great tangible or financial benefits earned
from joining the GSDCA.  I can tell you that the GSDCA was  founded in 1913
to encourage, promote, and improve the breeding of quality  purebred German
Shepherd Dogs, to educate the fancy, and to do all possible to  bring the
natural
qualities of the German Shepherd Dog to perfection.  However, I tend to think
that if you  need someone to enumerate the benefits of joining the GSDCA, as
in â??what is in  it for me?â?? - you are likely to be disappointed.
When asked, most GSDCA members  say they joined because of their love for the
breed, their desire to give back  some of the joy, love and devotion our dogs
have brought to their lives and,  finally, so that they can join a group of
people that share this love and  admiration for the German Shepherd Dog.
I can also tell you some of the  things that the GSDCA offers to all.  For
example:
- You can have access to the  GSDCA web site with information about upcoming
shows, almost instant results of  specialty shows (many times with pictures)
and even â??videosâ?? of our National  Specialty show.
-  There are GSDCA sponsored regional  Futurity shows where breeders bring
their best to compete against the best.
- The GSDCA and its members are  the AKC designated â??keepersâ?? of the GSD
standard by which German Shepherd Dogs  are judged.
- The GSDCA has a number of  Awards that while they seem like small offering,
there are of big significance  to all enthusiasts.
- GSDCA members receive the  monthly magazine, The German Shepherd Review,
which has received numerous  national awards.
- There are approximately 120  regional clubs under the sponsorship of the
GSDCA that offer many local dog  related events.
- Because of the many activities  the GSDCA supports, its members are able to
participate, not only in  conformation, but in many performance venues as
obedience, herding, rally,  agility, performance, etc.
- The GSDCA also provides  financial support to various organizations that do
health research to benefit  the German Shepherd Dog.
Nowâ?¦ looking backâ?¦ many of the  above activities and benefits can be
enjoyed
without joining the GSDCAâ?¦ butâ?¦you  must remember that these are only
available because there is an organization,  the GSDCA, that sponsors these and
its
members are willing to give of their time  and energy to get these
accomplished.  I sincerely hope you become one of us â?? always remembering
that through
your vote, a most powerful tool, you can influence and impact any of the
above.

As a  member, the most "tangible" benefit is that I can VOTE and have a voice
in  the breed, both present and future.  I have worked for regional shows,
the
National, and a few things in between.  We have earned a few things  through
being a member, things you can "touch."

But it is the right to VOTE that is the most  important.  Our country was
founded on this principle and countless men  and women have died over the
years in
wars to ensure that I retain the right  to VOTE.

Yes, this is "just" a dog club.  But dogs are my life, and  I can't imagine
not wanting a say in this breed.  Those who are very  vocal, but not members,
will only be heard for a moment.  And if you  don't have the right to VOTE,
your
moment will come and go, while the rest  of us who are members will continue
shape the present and future.

The monetary amount of the dues is a very small price to pay (less than  the
cost of one show) for the right to have a say in the breed.