[ SHOWGSD-L ] To Clarify Amateur entry rules

  • From: Scharo777@xxxxxxx
  • To: Adorhergsd@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 12:47:23 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 8/12/2012 3:11:55 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
Adorhergsd@xxxxxxx writes:

carol please explain to me about the amateur fut.the way it is said if  you
did not handle a dog for pay the year before it means that you can show
your dog in the am,fut.mat.so if I did not got paid the last two years any
handling fee it means I can show in the am,fut.or do I misunderstand it.the
rules never was very clear before

 The first year, you could only show in one or the other.
The next year, Nancy changed that to could show in both, because there
were no red book points available for the amateur.

In 2007 the board amended who could show in the amateur to:
    *   Juniors as defined by AKC will be allowed to handle in the Amateur,
 regardless of those residing in the same household with a handler
    *   An individual who trains & conditions dogs for others who is NOT a
PRofess Handler, nor has ever been a Professions Handler may enter in the
amateur IF they are the Breeder of Record of dog shown.
    *   A retired professional handler my enter in the amateur if they have
not  received compensation for handling for one full year preceding the
Amateur  date and if they are the breeder of the dog shown.
AKC judges many not show in the amateur

The only change I made was
1.  To raise the entry fee to $28.00 so it was the same as the  regular.
(didn't want people entering to avoid paying a higher fee if they  did not
intend to show their dog until its maturity)
2.  Since they were paying the same entry fee, the board approved they
should get the same awards.

Carol Moore