[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: To Better The Breed

  • From: Colleen Donnelly <gsdsforlife@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 06:29:21 -0500 (EST)

Hi Sue etal,

  Firstly, let me apologize to Pam and "the like" for the glomping on of your
thoughts and feelings to mine from Sue. You may feel the same way or you may
not, but it certainly is not fair for someone to group people together that do
not agree with others.

  You are wrong Sue....and I would think you would know me better than this by
now, but obviously you do not. That fact makes me truly sad. I do NOT judge all
breeders by the actions of a few ( or many! ) . Breeders/dog people that truly
know me and my mind, know that that is not true.

  I believe I said that dogs that are shown should be OFA'd. Prelim's for young
ones and OFA's for adults. And MOST especially be OFA'd for the Nationals and
Specialties....aren't these the dogs some ( read: some ) will want to breed to?
Shall we all put faith in the owner of these dogs to have them OFA'd? LMAO.....
What is the problem with OFA'ing? I hear all the grumbling about that these
things are not perfect.....but it is damn close and it is all we ( the "we"
being the caretakers of this breed....whatever you perceive that to be ) have.
Alot of thought , heart and work went into the process, why not utilize it?

  Where in the heck did I say that "democracy" is old and stale?? Don't twist
it. I said some thoughts are old and stale, and they are. IMO. I also said
fresh air is needed, and it is. IMO. That is NOT a slam on breeders. It is an
outlook. I doubt there is one outlook on anything in life that has stayed the
same.

  You said " I for one am sick to death of this maligmnent by those that sit
back and do none of it but feel they have the God given right to judge."

  Those that sit back and do none of what??? Breed??  If I breed...what?.....30
litters am I allowed an opinion? 12 litters? 150 litters? 27 litters? how many
litters should I breed before I am allowed an opinion? Does education and
experience count for nothing? It seems so.

  You said " why don't you spend your energies on ridding the world of puppy
mills".

  Wow. That was your last line and apparently supposed to be a dig. Sad. A sad
and pitiful dig at someone who works with rescue. It sure would be nice to have
the breeders of this province ( B.C.) board a rescue for a bit, or help with
fundraising by donating $20 here and there, donate in some way.....all we hear
is "oh the noise from another dog would upset mine", or " they will bring in
disease", or "I have no room". Nothing from anyone. Not a frickin dime. Oh, and
oh, the best one " that dog could not be from MY breeding". Granted Sue, one
boy I have here now is from your breeding, and when I told you, you said to
bring him to you, but you do not do home checks so.....ack, I'm rambling and
pissed off.

  My Christmas wish to Santa is that I am out of a "job"....no more rescue help
needed.

  If I don't get that, ( and I know Santa won't grant me that ) then all BC GSD
breeders go to http://members.shaw.ca/gsdrescue  and give them some money. Buy
a product, buy tickets for a raffle, sponsor a dog, get together as a group and
buy a years worth of food!!!!! , donate to the Vet directly, do something to
help. Put aside something each month to help!! It's the right thing to do. K,
end of commercial for the rescue.

  Colleen Donnelly

Susan Madlung <stormygsd@xxxxxxx> wrote:
  Colleen, Pam and the like judge the rest of us by the actions of a few..

the bottom line IS the breeder who makes the choices about which of their
bitches will be bred to which dogs.. IF the breeders themselves required
certification proof etc before they coughed over the bucks for a stud fee,
then the rest would follow without mandatory enforcement.
not all dogs that are shown are used for breeding for whatever the reasons..
those that breed have control over what happens..

You may think that "democracy" is old and stale, Colleen.. but you stand in
a crowd of a few..For most, showing, exhibiting is hobby - an expensive
one - now you want everyone to stay out of it until their dog is 2 and
OFA'd??? Get real!!
I for one am sick to death of this malignment by those that sit back and do
none of it but feel they have the God given right to judge..

why don't you spend your energies on ridding the world of puppy mills?
Sue Madlung - Shadowacre Reg'd German Shepherds
http://www.shadowacre.com/jessie.htm
Give your dogs the Ultimate Nutritional Support with BiologicVet Nx
http://www.biologicnr.com/biologicvetnx/
Contact stormygsd@xxxxxxx for breeder program Information