[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: To Better The Breed

  • From: "Pam Stoesser" <pkstoesser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Pamswan02@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 17:46:26 -0600

All that information is currently available to anyone.  The OFA has complete
information on it's website about the hip and elbow results for all animals
that have been submitted, along with the family tree of that animal
including half siblings.  The website is open to anyone who wishes to visit
it and quite easy to navigate.  The website is www.offa.org.

I do not believe that the GSD breed has a BIG problem with displasia.  Where
there are occasional problems, it is usually in a breeding program where
prelim xrays and OFA xrays at 2 years old either are not done or are not
used in the selection process.

Large animals of almost all species have problems with displasia.  Ask a
breeder of a Newf or a St. Benard or Holstein cattle.  Breeding OFA hips and
elbows to OFA hips and elbows does not guarantee that the puppies will not
be displastic but it does increase the odds.  It's very easy to talk about
"the breeder" and blame "them" for everything but I believe most breeders
are trying to do a good job.

If a person doesn't do their research before breeding to an animal, then
that's just dumb on their part and no legislation is going to correct that.
No one can be forced to breed to an animal that doesn't have proof of good
hips and elbows.