[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: To Better The Breed

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: Pamswan02@xxxxxxx, stormygsd@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 09:11:42 EST

In a message dated 12/4/2005 5:42:44 PM Central Standard Time,
Pamswan02@xxxxxxx writes:
It's a  step in the right direction. Pre Limb's are not always  conclusive
but
you certainly have a better chance of knowing what you will end  up  with.
Elbows are just as important. Heart,etc also. I still  would  like  to see
all
stud dogs be OFA  before entering in the ring.  I would like to  discuss some
positive ways we could get this to come  about, even if it takes my  life
time to
see some progress  here.

I don't think there is a need to make anything mandatory.  I know I  would
vote against it. And at home our dogs are ofa's, hips, elbows and heart.  So I
know what I am talking about.

As a breeder you can do whatever you want.  It continues to be an  issue of
education, as hip and elbows problem can't be eliminated by just  breeding ofa
to ofa. I keep up with the research, science is not there yet. I  wish.

Imagine if it was mandatory to breed only black and reds?  We will  miss on
LeRoy Brown and The BOSS.......once we start placing limitations, the  sky is
the limit.

Decide what you want to do.  Be aware, however, that you will end up  with
dogs that will not ofa from a breeding stock that is totally ofa.   Then you
will have to cull (humanely).  But you will still be dealing with  the problem.

If you want a lifetime of not having dogs with hip problems, the only  sure
thing will be not to have dogs.

Ileana