[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Times they are a-changing

  • From: Karen M. Carloni <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 20:31:27 -0400

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 18:44:32 -0400, ""
<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender
"Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx" for DMARC) wrote:

>What do you mean it's not an Irish Setter? Of course it is, in fact it's
>closer to the original breed than the refined red dogs, beautiful as they
>are,  we see today.  Coarser, less refined, still has brain cells connected.
>I love a R & W!
>
>Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

Hi Kathy,

I freakin' LOVE all 4 setters and will have an IR&W
someday. But no... It's not an Irish setter. At least not
anymore. The original color of the Irish setter WAS red
and white and today's Irish were sprung from the original
red and white dogs by people who bred specifically FOR
solid red. But that still doesn't make them the same
breed. Time marched on for the red dogs while the red and
whites were nearly were rendered extinct around the time
of WWI. They had to slowly build back up from oblivion. At
that time, it was determined that they had become so far
removed from modern Irish as to have become a separate
breed. It is believed that nearly every IR&W in existence
today is descended from a single bitch! How's THAT for a
small gene pool??  ;)

They were accepted by the CKC loooooong before they got
into the AKC Sporting Group. We setter folk waited a long
time for our lost brethren to get to the states. What a
great day that was for all of us! It was like somebody got
the band back together!  <G>

PS: Irish setters (the red ones) are NOT stupid dogs,
although I will admit... they "play" stupid very well.
It's part of their 'rollicking' personalities! You need to
be a special kind of owner and have a VERY well-developed
sense of humor to own and love one! Modern breeders have
been proving their dogs' brains in all sorts of sports and
events and they do very well. Yes... even hunting! It's a
new day from your parents' dumb Irish setter from the
70s!! I miss mine very much and want another. Fighting
with the hubby on that one. He wants the IR&W. I said, why
don't we get one each, but 3 dogs is a bit much for us
anymore. (We both agree that we can NEVER bear to be
without our beloved English.)
--
Karen C.
Email: kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx

---

is Copyrighted 2015.  All material remains the property of the original author
permitted without prior permission of both the original author AND of the

any post. POSTS CANNOT BE USED IN A COURT OF LAW.

http://showgsd.org/mail.html