[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Time to step up!

  • From: Falkrigia@xxxxxxx
  • To: Lindabankhead@xxxxxxxxxxx, PAGAIRS@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 10:02:19 EST

we can help also in a couple of the areas but I think it would be helpful to
know if these dogs are patrol or sentry dogs also or just land mine detection
dogs. It can make a VERY, VERY big difference in what kind of home they would
be suitable for.
Also, they may be able to come to the US via military transport.

My horse partner's Malinois K9  (explosives dog) was originally slated for
mine detection duty when she was washing out of the police K9 program she was
in. He took her on as his special project and she' s become a great working
police dog and is very social. Most of these land-mine detection dogs are just
that though - washouts from other K9 programs for various reasosns - some that
would make them unsuitable for civilian placement - and are considered
expendable. Tough reality

Sentry dogs are very aggressive and work without handler direction
necessarily, typically guarding fenced-in areas.

I have a close friend who was a dog handler in Vietnam and he may well be
interested in helping with this. Also, Dixie Whitman is very involved in the
Vietnam War Dog stuff. There is a large group of veterans who are. We
participated
in one of their Dedication Services years ago at Fort Benning. Great people.
I'll pass this on to them. They may know best what to do and may have answers
to some of the immediate questions.
lynda

Check out our websites for constantly updated info and pictures
www.falkrigiashepherds.com
www.thecraftywoodchuck.com

 AOL now offers free email to everyone.