[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Time to say goodbye

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: djdistilli@xxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 21:50:11 EDT

I stay.  I hold them.  There have been three over the years that  I haven't
been there for (two where we had bad results from exploratory surgery  and
made the decision not to let them wake), and to this day it just kills  me.
Of course it kills me to stay too....I've been blessed with tremendous
vets and it's all been very calm and very peaceful, even in an  emergency.

I would never criticize; whatever is right for you is what you do.  I  can
imagine some would be so upset that the pet would be scared. (I fall  apart
later.) In the case where the owner is upset and will transmit that  to the
dog, it may be best not to stay. It's a very personal decision.  But
there's no right, no wrong on this one.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

In a message dated 9/11/2009 9:28:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
djdistilli@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Well,  speaking of putting your feelings aside for the dog, your beloved
companion,  who would/could stay in the room for the euthanasia and who
doesn't ??
I  just had this discussion with myself about two weeks ago :) I worked for
vets  for years and assisted with plenty of them, but my own dog is way
different. .  . I euthanized one of my dogs that I was extremely close with,
completely  bonded, and I didn't stay. Still to this day it kills me and I
think I should  have stayed with her, but then I think not. I just don't know.

Jodi  Distilli
www.dinovagsd.com

VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org