[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Time is on our side

  • From: Ruth Scheubler <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: DaList <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 08:53:32 -0700 (PDT)

I trust you were not serious. I do believe you can turn that around and ask the
same of the breed dogs - are they unable to do simple gaiting without air
conditioning? The breed dogs are supposed to be the ones who represent the
"ideal" in structure, so should be able to handle anything the lesser quality
performance dogs are forced to.

We have plenty of agility trials in the rain out here and we also have moved
many inside as it does prevent injury to both dog and handler. They do not trot
in circles - they run, jump, turn,sprint, weave, climb - all of which requires
safe footing. When the dog was blown off the agility equipment by strong winds
at Ft Collins, she was seriously injured. Advanced obedience also requires
jumping and that requires good footing. You can do without it, but you take a
chance on injury. Would it have been OK with you to have your dog's show career
ended in the futurity finals before he ever had the chance to go GV because of
poor conditions? I think not.

Be serious - the safety of the dog should always come first - they are not the
ones who ask to go and feed our egos at the National. We take them.  (and, oh
yes, Police dogs can and do get injured when slipping while in hot pursuit
...and some careers do come to an end as a result)
Ruth

From: Hickoryhill <hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>