[ SHOWGSD-L ] Tilting at Windmills - Amateur classes

  • From: TerraNorte@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 20:06:19 EST

As one who shows her own dogs and has enjoyed the thrill of  finishing
several from the Bred-by Exhibitor class - I am one of those who  has been
tilting at windmills for years. I am constantly amazed at the thick  headedness
of our parent and regional clubs who refuse to offer the new regular
Amateur-owner class at our specialties and National, and who (unwittedly, I
hope)
go out of their way to make it difficult for people to participate in
showing their own dogs. Opening the ring up to its full size for the puppy
through Bred-by classes and not offering the Amateur Class at our  national
definitely makes this apparent. It sends the  message "Don't plan to show that
promising puppy or anything else in  this show unless you can run with the Big
Dogs and keep up" loud and clear.
While I know that having a whole amateur futurity seems like over-kill,
that we could just offer an amateur class..... the amateur futurity  actually
starts to bring the event back to its grassroots. Generally the  AmFuturity
is judged by a knowledgeable breeder/judge want-to-be. Instead of a
Debutante's Ball - complete with expensive handler showing to one of the 5
judges
picked over and over again for the National Conformation slate - the
AmFuturity is back to watching some promising local puppies run around the
ring.

I for one decided to enter my futurity nominated junior bitch in this
year's Futurity event scheduled in my region because there was a  Am-Futurity.
entered her in both the amateur and regular event - thus the  club got 2
entries. I will probably enter the shows the same weekend - since I  am going
anyway.  While I don't have high hopes or illusions for the  regular
futurity - I do feel I have a chance to be competitive in the Amateur  event.

I don't have time or energy to play the futurity/maturity game. Like
Stormy, I have nominated litters, and convinced puppy owners they should jump
on
the band wagon to "play at the match" - only to have reality slap them
hard.

My All-breed Kennel Club offers special groups each day at our  All-breed
dog shows. On Saturday we offer best puppy and on Sunday we offer best
bred-by. Yes, you have to buy more qualifying ribbons, rosettes and if you
offer
them - trophies, but they do positively enhance the show and entry numbers.
In  the end it is all about the entry numbers.

I enter specialties and futurities when they are relatively close  to home
and I feel I have a chance to be competitive. I guess I will continue to
tilt at windmills, hopefully it will not be totally in vain. Continue to think
 that the amateurs are not important and there will be many who decide
futurities  and specialties are a waste of time, energy and money......

~ Val Manning
   Terra Norte' GSD
   Wellington, CO