[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Thyroids....the silent culprit

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd@xxxxxxx>, <InquestGSD@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 22:34:28 -0700

Low thyroid is typically the problem in GSD according to our Vet.    And it
does cause skin problems
and........ will prevent a bitch from conceiving.
Reabsorbing or aborting a litter is very typical of Mycoplasma.
We run a full blood panel on our stud dogs and send the thyroid test to
Michigan State.   I would not
bother breeding a dog with thyroid issues.    It is also the root of many other
health problems.

Mycoplasma however is also a serious problem for breeding.....and dogs should
be tested for that
before breeding as it can be highly contagious.    Even if a bitch does
conceive....she will reabsorb or
abort the litter and if any are carried to term most don't survive.
Typically there are NO symptoms with
even a raging mycoplasma infection.
At least with a thyroid problem there are warning signs.....hair/coat problems
lethargic over-weight
dogs,   large scaley dandruff over the croup area.......can even cause
temperament issues.
Years ago  ( when we first started in the Breed. )   we purchased a show male.
He started showing coat problems at about 1 year...and had a change in his
disposition....became
kind of  nervous.....We took him to the Vet and they suggested testing him for
thyroid problems.

He was the FIRST  Hyper ( OVER active )   thyroid problem they had ever seen in
a German Shepherd
Dog!!!     Learned a lot about thyroids with that dog.....he finally ended up
at Davis Medical School...and
in the end we lost him.    They had no way to treat OVER active throids at that
time.
One of the things I learned is that I never want to deal with thyroid issues
again.

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com

From: Kay Springer To: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx ; showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent:
Saturday, July 02, 2011 9:47 PM
  Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Thyroids....the silent culprit

  According to my repro vet, thyroid issues are a big problem with why  bitches
don't conceive.
  She also said that when she attends seminars  for repro vets that they are
seeing a lot of
   reabsorbtions in all  breeds throughout the county for no apparent reason.
Environmental?
  No one seems to know.  She also told me from her experience (and she  has a
huge all breed
  clientele for reproduction services) GSDs have  more problems conceiving than
any other breed
   she sees. I know one  bitch that Strider was bred to started out with 7
pups. When the bitch
  seemed to stop growing, the owner had an ultrasound done and the vet  could
see that four were
  being reabsorbed and three were remaining.  She gave birth to one dead puppy,
two live puppies
  and the one died a  few days later leaving one huge healthy puppy!
  Two other friends had  their bitches reabsorb  puppies recently...one was a
GSD one was not.
  Not good news.  When I first started in GSDs in the 80's  the average  size
for a litter was 10 with
   lots of 13.  I sure don't see that very  much anymore.
  Kay Springer
  www.showboatgsd.com

  On Jul 2, 2011, at 9:30 PM, InquestGSD@xxxxxxx wrote:
  > I had the most interesting conversation today with a dog person. He  >
insist> the biggest
  reproduction problem our breed is having has to do with  > low> thyroids.  It
appears low thyroids
  are to blame for all the skin   > and  coat> problems, allergies (that may
not be allergies after all),
  and  > troubles for> bitches getting pregnant, and even behavioral issues.>>
Do you agree?