[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Thyroids....the silent culprit

  • From: barbara17236@xxxxxxx
  • To: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 13:56:39 -0400 (EDT)

My repro vet, a breeder of various breeds, has breeders give Thryoid medication
if the test fails below a certain number.  While that number is still a NORMAL
thyroid and would receive an OFA Certification, it is not high enough, in her
opinion, to conceive and maintain a pregnancy.  This is regardless of the breed
of dog.

I can honestly say that when one of my bitches failed to conceive the first
time I bred her, even though progesterone testing was done and "ties" were
accomplished by a proven stud, she had me have her thyroid checked.  It was
lower than she likes to see so she had my put her on thyroid medication.  She
has since had pups.

BTW - her Thyroid test would have qualified for an OFA number.

I recommend that any bitch who fails to conceive get a thyroid test done.  If
that is normal, I would suggest confirming pregnancy by ultrasound and then
running a weekly progesterone test to see if her progesterone level needs
supplementing in order to maintain the pregnancy.

Barb H - PA