[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Three majors

  • From: "Kathaleen Strong" <inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 20:36:35 -0700

I don't really know how to write this email without coming off as a major
b*tch --- but frankly, I don't know any other way than to say what's on my
mind.  I haven't had the time to respond to a lot of threads that have
gotten my goat... but these two posts have done it.

I have NOT seen this dog that has recently won 3 specialty shows.  I did not
attend the shows this weekend and I have yet to search on the website for
him.  However, from the people I have talked to about this dog, I have heard
that he typifies correct GSD TYPE, he is ALL male, he FUNCTIONS, his
shoulder is adequate and he has a brilliant temperament.  Maybe if I saw him
I'd think he was puke... or maybe I'd just say he's a dog that has some good
qualities or maybe I'd go off my rocker and say he's fantastic... I don't
know...  Mrs. Franklin... have you seen this dog in person?

Would it be that all our "big-time specialty" judges behaved in a proper
manner, read the standard and actually put up dogs that typify the standard,
instead of freight trains that are owned by the powerful; less than quality
animals labeled as superior; toe draggers who are listed as "great movers";
and I could go on and on... but I'll stop here...

And another thing... Since When is it bad for someone to hedge their bets
and show their dogs to judges who may appreciate them???  I would think that
the smart and knowledgeable exhibitor would do this very thing... and
instead of getting a "b*tchslap" on the list for doing it... they would be
acknowledged as being smart exhibitors.  Afterall, Mrs. Franklin, according
to most judges nowadays, the judge isn't at fault for putting up the dogs
they put up... they are only responsible to judge according to their
interpretation of the standard.  Just the same as the breeders who show
their "interpretations" of the standard - or their handler's interpretation,
or their money's interpretation or whatever it is that affords them the
unmitigated gall to exhibit some of the freakazoids in the ring, that sends
the public running from the shows scared to death to get involved with our
breed.

Regardless of all the above, I'm really wonder what the AKC's take on this
this UNJUDGELIKE behavior exhibited on this list would be???  I would hope
that Mrs. Franklin reviews the AKC's guidelines for judges and remember
appearances are very, very important to keep up... including on the list.

Sometimes I agree with Christine - at times I'm also embarrassed to
acknowledge that I am involved with such a sophomoric group of people that
make up the "powerful and important".

Regards,

Kathaleen Strong