[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Thoughts: WAS, What the AR's want.(PetCo...another view)

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: GrnRam415@xxxxxxx, epeningt@xxxxxxxxxx, Stormy435@xxxxxxx, rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx, kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 11:44:27 EST

Language defines thought.

 I will have to disagree with Laura on this.   And it has to do with the way
a nation changes it's way of behaving through language.

If a person who said they were a vegan (pronounced VEEEgan, by the way) and
had a vegetarian diet, no eggs, fish or dairy products, was asked politely if
they also abstained from the use of leather, wool or medicine, they would be
shocked and say, probably, of course not.   They have accepted a word for their
eating behavior and didn't understand what it meant.

Remember our horrible rhyming games as kids?   We no longer use some of the
words that were once in them because at that time, it was acceptable to THINK
that way.   Taking those words and changing them to something bad has altered
our behavior and our thoughts. In the cases of many of those rhyming games, for
the good of society as a whole.   If somebody uses the N word around me, I
look at them disgustingly and say, I don't like to hear that word, so please
don't use it around me.   As a kid, my father named one of his cats that.
Language influences Thought.

Veganism (VEEEganism) is a lifestyle and Vegetarianism is a style of diet,
with or without eggs or dairy products.   It isn't a vegan diet.   A Vegan
practices strict vegetarianism.   (to quote Laura, it's as simple as that LOL)
 If
somebody tells me they are a Vegan, I ask them what that means to them.   If
they say it's their diet, I say, "Oh, you are a vegetarian".   Then we talk,
without rancor because we are in a discussion, not a confrontation.   If they
say they are a Vegan, and proceed to tell me about their Vegan philosophy, I
may or may not continue the discussion.   We obviously agree to totally
disagree. :-)

Regarding the Guardian issue.   There are many definitions of Guardian.   The
AR's are choosing, actually, the legal one for humans.   A Guardian appointed
for a minor child through the courts.   Because they took that, they are
trying to change the "thinking" of a nation to accept that meaning vs others.
Language influences thought.

Stormy
In a message dated 3/2/08 11:36:01 PM, GrnRam415 writes:

> Ellen,
>
>  Don't know if you are just stuck on this issue or if you didn't think your
> technically correct, there is also the way JQP interprets certain
> terms/words.
> To JQP, a vegetarian does not eat meat but will eat fish and eggs and dairy
> products.  A Vegan, eats no meat at all and no dairy products.  Simple as
> that.  Now, it is possible that someone allergic to or with a compromised
> immune
> system, may not be able to tolerate meats and dairy products.  For all
> intents and purposes, this person is on a "Vegan" diet.  This does not mean
> that
> person has chosen to live this diet as a lifestyle or share the beliefs of
> radical extremists.  They have no choice for their own health.  It is just
> a word
> used to describe this particular diet.  A true lifestyle Vegan will not only
> live the lifestyle but will tell everyone else to do the same and preach
> their cause.
>

> On another note.  I have some raw food customers that really do live the
> Vegan lifestyle, by choice.  They probably support Peta and HSUS and the
> like.
> I don't get too much into their personal lives but there are some clues that
> come out about their beliefs.  These same people recognize that their pets
> NEED to eat meat and will actually put aside their own repulsion to feed
> their
> animals raw meat.  How they decided to have pets (and feed raw) is beyond
> me, if they really believe in "the cause", but they do and I don't challenge
> them.  I figure they are wobblers.  They buy into the PETA thing but haven't
> done enough research to know PETA's real agenda, to abolish all domestic pet
> ownership.
>
> My point is that there are varying degrees of all these TERMS and we must
> look behind the WORDS to know the actual intent of the person.  The same
> issue
> has come up with the word "Guardian."  Are we guardians of our pets?  Yes, we
> are.  But, the ARista's have made that word a bad thing.  What we do for our
> dogs is to protect them from disease and bad things, care for
> them and provide them with their basic needs.  In return, they also protect
> us from bad
> things and give us unconditional love.  Yes, we should be guardians.  But,
> this
> word has now become a weapon for the ARista's.  Why do we have to be either a
> Guardian or an Owner?  Why can't we be both?  Because now Guardian takes on
> the human, legal meaning and is no longer meant the way it is described,
> literally, in the dictionary.  Again, interpretation and how the ARista's
> have
> used this word against those of us who love our animals.  Just as in the word
> [...]

"You may never know what results come from your action.
But if you do nothing, there will be no result."
                                           Mahatma Gandhi
Stormy Hope
www.FairhopeGSD.com

It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms, and advice on AOL Money &
Finance.
      (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001)