[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Think a bit

  • From: "arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx" <arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 22:36:10 GMT

---------- Original Message ----------
From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
I was amazed to see a proposal to have geographic members to the nominating
committee. We should have the best people we can,and if they all come from
North Dakota, then that is who we should get. It sounds great to pick from
different areas, but if you think it through, it is never good to limit the
choices.
==============================
I found the new distribution to be absolutely unfair to those of us who live in
the EASTERN SECTION.
Since this Amendment will become a permanent part of our by-laws that can only
be changed by another vote of the membership, I chose to use the total
population of the U. S., not the current number of members per state since new
and/or old members of the GSDCA can come from any state or move to any state.

I know we're having a Census next year, so these population totals are not
curent and will change ... this information came from the 2000 Census. The
total population for the US and Puerto Rico was 285,230,516.

As you can see from the information below, the Eastern Section has 1 member of
the nominating committee and 1 alternate representing 109,172,148 people which
is 38.27% of the entire population of the U. S. and Puerto Rico, while the
Western Section also has 1 member of the nominating committee and 1 alternate
representing only 55,267,525 people or 19.37% of the total population.  That's
a huge difference.

EASTERN SECTION contains 17 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico
with a total population of 109,172,148 people - or over 38.27% of the total
population.

HEARTLAND SECTION contains only 9 states with a population 62,177,847 - 21.79%
of the total population.

MID-AMERICA SECTIONS has 15 states listed, 1 and 1 alternate and a population
of 58,612,996 about 20.54% of the total population.

WESTERN SECTION also has only 9 states included with the lowest population of
55,267,525 which is only 19.37% of the total population.

The population information came from the U. S. Census website:
http://www.census2010.gov/population/www/cen2000/maps/respop.html
http://www.census2010.gov/population/www/cen2000/maps/files/tab02.txt

In my not so humble opinion that this section of the by-laws should be changed
every 10 years, the year following the publication of the Census, and should be
broken down so all members, regardless of where they happen to be living, are
represented fairly by the nominating committee.

Gayle & the Hooligans!
http://www.picturetrail.com/arycrest - Link to The Hooligans Albums
Best Weight Loss Program - Click Here!
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2241/fc/BLSrjpYSwrCxoNDgbpCtMGDAJqQ1t7fqNjAyj8PIuZYnPO9LnFRPvQm81KA/