[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The wolf will go where the straw house is

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 09:42:07 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paula Cooke" <pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 10:24 PM
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The wolf will go where the straw house is

But, some of us don't swim!!

Paula, 124 days and counting

-- Paulette wrote:

If I simply want to socialize, I'll throw a pool party.

That's okay, Paula...  We don't have a pool!   But we do have a cute little
pond, so I guess you could fish.  <grin>

When we move to our McRanch, I'd love to throw a mega doggie party and host
a herding "C" course at the same time.  Now, that's how I'd *love* to meet
GSD's and their people!  And, over beer and barbecue, pick a few brains...

Until then, as a Newbie, I feel it's important to watch as many GSD's, from
as many regions as possible, doing their thing in the conformation ring.

Videos and photos are fine up to a point, but these tools just aren't enough
for a Novice to truly learn about conformation and movement.  My first
mentor told me this, and she's absolutely right.

We Newbies *need* to see the dogs up close and personal.  We need to watch
the judges doing their thing too, be it good or bad.  It's *all* part of the
learning curve.

The days of  local Specialty shows routinely drawing 50, 75, 100+ entries
are a thing of the past.  Heck, most folks can barely afford to drive to
work anymore, much less drive long distances or fly around the country to
dog shows.

Often, the *only* place for a Newbie to become intimately acquainted with
what breeders are producing in different regions of the country, is at our
National.

Yes, people are important!  No denying this, but the National *should*
showcase the *best* a breeder has to offer.  Otherwise, how are Newbies
supposed to learn about good movement and conformation?

There are many people I'm dying to meet in person who I've already "met" on
this List.  The National may be the only place I'll get a chance to meet
them.  At the same time, the National may be the only place I'll get to see
their fine dogs in action.

I also know that if I see a dog who catches my eye at the National, or at a
local Specialty show, I can email/call the breeder or owner to talk about
said dog.  I've done this many times.

With very few exceptions,  I've found that people are more than willing to
talk to *anyone* about their dogs.  And it doesn't matter if the dog went
GV, GVX, Select, or didn't make the cut at all.  Or is simply a great
looking  pup with a lot of promise.  Or the dog went to the Bridge 20 years
ago.  People *will* talk about their dogs.  All you have to do is ask...

But, as a Novice spectator-cum-exhibitor-cum-breeder, I must *see* good dogs
gaiting around the big ring or my education will be sorely lacking...

If the National is held some place where it's difficult to get the dogs to
the Big Show, I feel everyone who attends will be "shortchanged."

One last word...  I strongly feel we could all benefit from more judges'
critiques.  CANDID critiques.  No need to be scathing, but Honesty is all...

Thanks for letting me ramble on.

Paulette McGuirt, GSDCA Member
Allemande German Shepherd Dogs
Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam