[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The way we were

  • From: "Kathaleen Strong" <listmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 12:28:39 -0800

I agree with Liz -- it does exist -- unfortunately the people in the middle
of the ring are the ones responsible for pointing -- but the people who are
breeding to the same bloodlines over and over and over, bloodlines NOT known
for superior motion -- are the most culpable.

If you see a bunch of racing dogs on a tight lead, read the pedigrees --
over and over you'll see a trend -- guaranteed.  If you see that trend --
don't breed there unless you need the things they offer (**usually** pretty
type, nice proportions, clean coming and going)

I'm reasonably happy with the dogs I have right now -- and am working to
rebuild the kennel after a 7 yr breeding hiatus.  I know where I'm looking
for movement bloodlines and where I'm not.  Take a look at the 2nd place 6-9
Puppy Dog from the National -- that's an Old Style puppy (8 month old and in
an ugly stage) -- but the prerequisites I have for a dog I will show -- he
has.  And he's got old style motion to -- you know, effortless, ground
covering.  I'm not trying to pimp him... just saying there are dogs out
there with that kind of motion.  I'm even more pleased with the repeat
litter.

So, the Judges yes have a responsibility -- they're supposed to be helping
the Breed by showing breeders in the competition ring which animals most
typify the standard.  Since our standard is very lengthy on the motion of
our breed, ONE WOULD THINK they would be concerned with putting up animals
that exhibit above average motion over those with tripod fronts, famous
handlers and crowd support.  But then, of course, the breeders are so locked
up into the current trend in the search of what will win, instead of what is
actually correct -- well it's a double edged sword, isn't it.

But then, what do I know.  LOL.

Kathaleen