[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The way we were

  • From: James Barnhart <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 09:23:58 -0800

Suzanne,  I appreciate your views and I have received many private
emails expressing your opinion regarding the Breed.   I am trying to
be more of an observer rather than someone who advocates for my own
particular take on what is correct in terms of the Standard.   My
point of reference is what it takes to win at  the top levels of GSD
competition:  specialty shows and the National.  This is the way it
has been for many years, like it not, in terms of how our breed
evolves and will continue to be the major factor in terms of how our
breed moves and looks in Canada and the United States.   I believe
that a GSD to win at the elite level has to really "haul ass" to put
it bluntly.  These dogs are not "fast steppers" or "busy"; they are
just flat out built to run at a fairly high rate of speed even on a
loose lead.  These elite dogs are long striding with good backs and
balance.  In human terms, they are more like a four minute miler that
sprinters.  The elite animals are usually superbly conditioned,
something their structure like any good athlete easily adapts.  The
dogs that are "racing" on a tight lead are the dogs with less than
ideal structure who are forced to compete with the athletic runners.
The easy mover just has no place in the mix.  I think this is more
than a trend; I think is a natural evolution because of the way we
show GSDs.