[ SHOWGSD-L ] The trot

  • From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 23:31:22 EST

No, I'm not going to get into the two beat/four beat debate again.  I'll
choose to believe what I believe.  I do have a separate observation though.  In
these days of moving the dogs slower and slower, or just with the call for it
for those of you who haven't seen that yet, I wonder when we'll have to alter
structure to accomodate something that is actually a little bit unnatural?
TROT-
1 a (1) : a moderately fast gait of a quadruped (as a horse) in which the
legs move in diagonal pairs

If the trot is a "moderately fast gait", how slow is too slow then?  In my
opinion, the only way to slow down a trot beyond the moderately fast gait that
it is, and still maintain balance, would be to create dogs that get under well
but can't follow through behind by tilting the croup too steep (creating too
much upward push from the rear.)  In addition, you would need excess lift in
front to keep the feet off of the ground long enough to appear to be moving
slowly.  Just an obvservation that might be worth thinking about. <G>

Tom Langlitz