[ SHOWGSD-L ] The single most important thing - back to basics.

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: uwish@xxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 23:42:52 EDT

Oh Barbara...........how right you are.

We started in obedience. My brother is a GREAT trainer.  He just has  "it". I
can hold my own, but he makes it all look so easy.  So I let the  air out of
his bike tires........hehehe.

We have always trained our dogs.  Even if not for competition, they  need to
be easy to live with. That's what I tell people when they ask me how we  live
with 2 or 3 males at a time. They know better.  We don't even own  kennels,
they live in the house.  2 miles in the morning, and 1 more in the  evening,
every day.. (that's the entire park in the morning  and half  the park at
nite).

We have had a few dogs over for "attitude adjustment" that in reality  only
needed  lots of excersice, attention and discipline.   What a concept.

Now, the poodle........bless her heart........but she is  cute.......LOL

Ileana

In a message dated 7/16/2008 10:32:20 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
uwish@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
I only  own three GS bitches and believe me, that's enough. My girls are
a lot of  work, especially the two younger ones. They are definitely my
"wild  children." I got to thinking the other day.......I feed my dogs
the best  food I can buy (Eagle Brand Holistic) they get the top of the
line  supplement (Vibrant Pets), they sleep in the house at night, they
have  plenty of toys to play with and many bones to chew. They are all
loved very  much. But something, I felt was missing. What was it? What
my dogs were  missing was TIME! I chose to share my life with one of the
most intelligent  breeds of dogs. Now my older bitch, I put a lot of
time into. She was very  easy to train and knows many obedience
commands. She's easy to live with  (although whiny). And the reason
she's easy to live with is because she is  trained. Her two daughters
are the wildest dogs I've every owned. However,  unlike their mother,
they are not trained, (well except they know the  command sit because
they'll get a treat). But that's it! Otherwise, they do  exactly what
they want to do. So I've decided in order for me to live a  peaceful
existence with my dogs, they must be "good citizens." I think a  trained
dog is a enjoyable dog to live with. Many times I hear, "Oh he's  so
wild" when someone talks about their dog. He's only wild because  we
have allowed them to be that way. I think the single most  important
thing we can do for our dogs besides giving them good care and  love is
to train them. It makes the owners happier and believe it or not,  it
makes the dog happier. He no longer is being screamed at for all  the
bad things that he does. When we use our brains to make sure our  GS's
are using theirs, we co-exist in a peaceful environment. So to  "boot"
camp my doggies will go. Oh, I'm so looking forward to seeing all  my
black and blues.......

..............Best,  Barbara

Ileana