[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The reason for a contract

  • From: Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 11:30:30 EDT

I agree, contracts are critical for every business transaction.  I've  rarely
had problems (and never a serious one) when I've had written  contracts.
That hasn't always been the case when I've trusted someone's word -  so
I now use a contract even with someone I know and believe I can  trust.

In this case, Gail's contract would be the one the GSDCA would count
on, unless they granted her a variance for her employee's work.
Anything they produced should be covered under the same terms
as if Gail did it herself.  As her agents, if she didn't ensure  her
own requirements were meant, any legal action that comes against
the club from their not producing work under her terms, would
probably come back on Gail herself.  I would hope that won't
happen!

BTW -  a contract for work produced by a contractor CAN  state
that the finished product will be owned by the company that hired
them.  Large corporations and government agencies contract
applications that incorporate trade secrets and copyrighted
processes.  There is NO WAY they would pay someone to develop
those, if the contractor then had a right to sell it to someone
else!  In fact, the contracts usually have some very severe  legal
penalties if any part of the application goes anywhere it
wasn't intended for.  Could you imagine the problems we
would have if the contractors used by Homeland Defense
had the right to sell their products to Iraq or Iran?

Once again, it depends on how well the contract with Gail was
written!  If it was done by someone who knew what they were
doing, the club should be within their rights.

Janice

In a message dated 8/18/2006 6:54:03 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx writes:
In a  message dated 8/17/2006 11:27:18 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ELG440@xxxxxxx writes:
In a  message dated 8/17/2006 7:02:08 P.M.  Pacific Standard Time,
john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
In  the  case of work for hire, if  copyright is involved, it is  usually
owned  by the  client.

You are correct, but  the difference between work for which  you are  hired,
and an  independent contractor is who owns the  process. That and the way
taxes
are paid are the two  differences.  Most employees  sign an agreement  that
anything  they develop or discover while  employed belongs to the   employer.

As an independent  contractor, it is the exact opposite.   That often is  why

some people insist on being an employee and some  want to be an  independent
contractor.

Does anyone care about  this  stuff?

Isn't the law a  kick?

Evan

ME!   <VBG>

Actually, as an independent contractor, I knew, lol, when I  asked the
question yesterday:))))  Evan clarified it so  beautifully though (I was
hoping he
would and he did!).  And in  the meantime, it was entertaining to  read all
of
the opinions from  those who thought they "knew" and suggestions  that we
actually  "google" to see "what is done".  <VBG>

Geeze, does that mean  when I want an opinion on something of importance,
all
I need go is  "google"?  NOT!  That's not how I run my business of  my
personal matters:)

NOW, we have Evan's learned legal opinion  clearly presented to us; it's
clear the items mentioned in the  infamous memo should NOT be used, so it
will be
interesting to see  what actions the new editor and board takes to protect
the
Review  and the PC.

Also of interest, had the parties involved defined what  happened to the
work
product developed during the course of their  relationship upon the
termination of their relationship , we  wouldn't need this conversation.
Guess a
lawyer is the best  place to go for legal advice after all:)

Kathy
member GSDCA,  DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled Champions live  here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_