[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The reason for a contract

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 08:52:52 EDT

In a message dated 8/17/2006 11:27:18 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ELG440@xxxxxxx writes:
In a  message dated 8/17/2006 7:02:08 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
In the  case of work for hire, if  copyright is involved, it is usually
owned  by the  client.

You are correct, but the difference between work for which  you are  hired,
and an independent contractor is who owns the  process. That and the way
taxes
are paid are the two  differences.  Most employees sign an agreement  that
anything  they develop or discover while employed belongs to the   employer.

As an independent contractor, it is the exact opposite.   That often is  why
some people insist on being an employee and some  want to be an independent
contractor.

Does anyone care about  this stuff?

Isn't the law a  kick?

Evan

ME!  <VBG>

Actually, as an independent contractor, I knew, lol, when I asked the
question yesterday:))))  Evan clarified it so beautifully though (I was  hoping
he
would and he did!).  And in the meantime, it was entertaining to  read all of
the opinions from those who thought they "knew" and suggestions  that we
actually "google" to see "what is done".  <VBG>

Geeze, does that mean when I want an opinion on something of importance,  all
I need go is "google"?  NOT!  That's not how I run my business of  my
personal matters:)

NOW, we have Evan's learned legal opinion clearly presented to us; it's
clear the items mentioned in the infamous memo should NOT be used, so it will
be
interesting to see what actions the new editor and board takes to protect  the
Review and the PC.

Also of interest, had the parties involved defined what happened to the  work
product developed during the course of their relationship upon the
termination of their relationship , we wouldn't need this conversation.   Guess
lawyer is the best place to go for legal advice after all:)

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_