[ SHOWGSD-L ] The other white decision

  • From: Pharaohs Revenge <pharaohsrevenge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 17:35:23 -0400

The white coated dog showed up to the 50s alongside their colored counterparts
and there were whites that were AKC champions so your NEVER desirable is not
correct. The original GSD standard allowed whites, it wasn't until politics and
misconception came along that they became a DQ.
As I stated before, this decision should be about what is best for the breed,
not what happens in the show ring. I don't know why any breed would want to
remove part of its gene pool due to a coat color? The GSD is riddled with
health issues, why not have its full gene pool to work with?

The conformation folks are a small minority of the GSDCA so why are decisions
always made in terms of the show ring? Maybe it's time to cater to the majority
of the membership and what's best for the breed as a whole.

Donna Beadle
eclipsekennels.com

Bodied
Msg: #6 in digest
From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: - the other White decision
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 11:32:05 -0700

Since the white Shepherd has been a DQ for many, many years....and has NEVER
been a 'desirable' part of the Standard for the German Shepherd Dog it seems
it has been the decision of those who continue breeding them to have to deal
with the problems that exist with that decision....just as it does with any
other DQ in any Breed Standard.
Why not let them "go" off into their own Breed and gain their own glory as a
very beautiful White breed of dog like others have?   There are many white
breeders that DO prefer that...and many that breed according to the our AKC
Standard that DO prefer that.   It's the best possible solution rather than
risk destroying our Parent Club over another 'war'....
AKC will work it out in the most fair way possible once we give them the
permission to separate.   You KNOW AKC is not going to lose the revenue from
those that are already Registered!!   They will have a method as they do for
any 'new' breed that originated from another.   There are quite a few "white"
Breeds that we now know ..and are highly respected that came from separation
from another Breed Standard.

I really don't think this is comparable to two brown eyed people having a
blue eyed child??   Nor does it matter how the UKC handles their Standard.
(  "pale, washed out colors"  could be almost ANY interpretation in the
hands of many judges.....I don't see that as "pretty neat and simple" )
Personally I LOVE the GSD Standard and the Breed AS IT IS.
Those who prefer whites could tinker with their own Standard any way they
preferred as a specific respected Breed.

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com