[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The members all need the Nationals

  • From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 01:23:17 EDT

In a message dated 6/4/2005 12:40:25 AM Central Daylight Time,
Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx writes:
As said before, I am willing to drive to where ever the nationals  are,
should I want to go. Location is not the biggest contributor to  dwindling
entries
and for some reason, few seem to get this.
The number of entries at past national specialties with more central
locations is proof that location is extremely important, if not most important
to an
exhibitor deciding whether or not to go, and how many dogs to take.  I have no
reason to doubt that you are willing to drive cross country if necessary to
attend a national.  I do have reason to doubt that a majority of GSDCA members
feel the same as you about this.  If I had to guess, I would wager that within
recent years, Columbus had the most GSDCA members within a 12 hour drive of
the national.  It also drew a very impressive entry.  I think that most people
do "get it."

Again ... I am not advocating all midwest nationals.  I merely feel that
coastal nationals automatically exclude potential exhibitors because half of
the
potential driving circle is water ... and Flipper just doesn't show dogs.  Most
of us would be glad to be able to drive to any national.  I believe,
according to a poll I once did, that "most" of us are willing to drive up to 12
hours
to get there.  There are only two arguments for holding a national on a coast.
 One is to make the show available to larger portions of the general public
that live extremely close to those sites.  I understand the thought process,
but I don't think the general public will be at all impressed with a small
national ... and the general public lives near every site anyway.  The other
argument is pure selfishness.  Just once people would like to stay at home for
national.  Well, folks... like it or not, you're not more important than
thousands of other GSDCA members.  Be glad that you can drive to a national ...
even
if it's eight or ten ... or even twelve hours. Since you're driving, take a
couple of extra dogs.   Many people do.

Tom Langlitz