[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The difference between handlers

  • From: Zoa Rockenstein <zrockenstein@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uwish@xxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 08:56:59 -0700 (PDT)

Interesting question.  I am going to skip over the skills involved in excellent
presentation of the dog, as I'm sure others will deal with those.  To me, two
things separate a technician from a great handler and they both deal with the
handler's ability to establish and maintain relationships.  The first
relationship is with the dog.  Some handlers just make dogs "sparkle" in the
ring because the dog loves working with that handler even when the owner is not
there to double.  I can't take my eyes off a beautiful dog working with its
handler like that.  Jimmy and Dallas come to mind.  I can take my eyes off a
beautiful dog with a lackluster attitude in the ring.  The second relationship
is with the owner.  I want honesty, integrity, good sportsmanship at events,
and a sense of humor.  I also want my handler to help me network when he or she
feels it would be beneficial to me.  I enjoy socializing with my handler and
others at shows.  I
 don't want a handler to lie to me about the worth of my dog and then use my
dog as the gas dog for the Fla Circuit, for example.  I am also not interested
in drama and temper tantrums at shows.  So, the difference between good and
great boils down to relationship skills for me!
 Zoa
Dr. Zoa Rockenstein
www.riverrockshepherds.com