[ SHOWGSD-L ] The board, a mixed meeting

  • From: elg440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 13:12:00 -0400

It is an interesting meeting, some good stuff, some not so good.

I will avoid any rumors and only tell you what I was told, but those involved.
I did have dinner with Susan Casey, Margy and her husband, and got to talk to a
number of people.  It seems that the club's attorney, from New York has had
some harsh words with Margy and Kris, our two attorneys. She also has stated
that Susan should be fired as the Review Editor because she published a letter
that said Hunte was evil.

An agreement was made, and will be proposed to settle the Hunte matter, but was
put on the bar last night, and Lew arranged to get a number of board members to
sign it, without any discussion, or even some of the board seeing it ahead of
time. It includes a published appology by Lew in a major dog magazine, each
board member to take training in antitrust law, to be done by the N.Y.
attorney, and some other issues. I did not read it, but spoke to some who did.

Last week I talked to Lew and advised that the discussion should be in open
session and he agreed. First thing this morning, he announced the discussion
would be Sunday morning in a closed session.

It was announced by the Budget and Finance committed that the sight selection
for the Nationals was to be combined with the National Chair.  Joan was told of
this last night, and had no advanced notice she was being replaced. There was
little discussion, and it was passed. Joan looked sick, and I felt it was
handled incorrectly. Lew did thank her for her work.

It appears the financially the club is in good shape, having increased revenues
by $100,000. But that reflects money set aside for Review transition, which was
then put back. But Tim Wheat did say we were in a very strong position.

In Colorado the National will October 12-21 with herding on the 12th. The Host
Hotel has only 50 rooms for us, and the phone number is (970) 482-2626.  We
should be able to double handle on all four sides.  The host hotel is the
Hilton at Fr. Colline.

Liz Leshhorn was mentioned as having reduced the cost of the Red Book by 40%,
which helped with the club's profit.

Margy is trying to put the recording of the minutes on the club cite so anyone
can listen to them. She is working on it with John Anyotte and will continue to
figure out how to do it.

A parlemtarian was at the meeting, Dennis Clark, and made some suggestions.

The question of hiring the New York Attorney came up.  Her name is Nancy
Gutenberg.  I have been told to be careful of what I post, as she is monitoring
the List. That was not part of the meeting or anything the board said.  It was
discussed she was hired to give an opinion, then her fees were increased, then
she billed for more work, and the discussion of what she is supposed to be
doing was tabled to Sunday, in closed session, when she gets here.

I was told that Nancy also have an arguement with Gary, and also intended to
come after me.  I am looking forward to meeting her to see what is going on,
who she represents, and who is her client. At this point I asked, and no one
has an answer.

I was asked by three board members if they should resign.  But, it is early,
about noon, and there is a lot to go.  I think things will "lighten up" and
maybe tempers will cool off.  What happens tomorrow will be important, but
there is a lot of talk about suing any board member who talks about what
happens in a closed session.

It does seem that the club is not being run by the board, and certainly not by
the members. A few people have taken it on.   I had heard that, but now I have
seen it.

These board members mean well, and work hard. They are great and dedicated
people, trying to do the best they can for us.   I know how much they give up
to do this, and how difficult it is.  We do need to stand behind them, and I
hope there is a way out of this mess.

I don't like what happened to Joan, the threats to Margy, Susan and Kris.  But,
they can deal with it, and I can only suggest what they might do. I took a
break to send this, as I am a bit upset over what I have seen so far.

More to come.

MANNER
ALL

AOL at AOL.com.