[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The biggest problem is......

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jessica MacMillan" <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <texasgsds@xxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 09:34:10 -0400

While I do object to puppies of ANY breed finishing their titles, I do hope
y'all know that sometimes the puppy is the best dog on the day.
In the UK, a puppy can fulfill all the requirements for a championship, but
isn't awarded the title until it wins at least one more CC (like our Winners)
until after a certain age...   proving that it grew up to be as good a dog as
it was a puppy.
This was proposed here in the USA and people went bananas.........not
acceptable at all.  I thought that was a big mistake.
     If the puppy is any good, it ought to be able to win after it's
mature...sadly, the majority of people across the board wanted their puppy
champions...
    I've known quite a few dogs that finished from the puppy classes that
turned out to be really ugly suckers after they grew up.
       In the Pembroke Corgi parent club, some years ago, one person won
breeder of the year award by finishing a bunch of puppies...not one of them
could have finished after they turned a year old because they completely fell
apart.  Just plain stupid........she faded into obscurity after that because
nothing she had bred on.  Gee, surprise, surprise!      Not to mention that in
my mind they probably didn't deserve even their puppy wins...but I, like many
others, just stood back and watched.......as those dogs disappeared from the
scene.  Yuck.
     I don't think there's anything wrong in requiring a major win after the
age of 18 months, regardless of the breed.......but I'm in the vast minority.
    Needless to say, AKC probably won't propose that again......
    Still...a really nice puppy CAN be deserving.
and shouldn't be penalized on the day just because it's a puppy.
    Peggy