[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The Worlds Worst Dog/long

  • From: "billie" <arelee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 16:46:53 -0800

From our first litter whelped in the 60's we had a handsome male that won
some matches, we showed him as Arelee's Attention Getter., and had filled
that in on his blue slip.
We sold  him on a co-ownership to a lady, we were surprised when his
registration came back as Arelee Asa Thor of Asgard.
Well she, the co-owner said that was because he was the God of Thunder! At
that time I didn't know that the Ginsburg were or would be using Asgard as
their Kennel name.
I am not sure about being God of anything, more like the devil! He was very
sound dog, but his habits well.....I can tell you that dog was something
else!
When we would go to shows we preferred to pick him up and take him, he would
behave in a crate with us. When he would go with her, she only had a 4 door
sedan, he would jump into the front seat and sit on the horn, if she left
him for any length of time. When we traveled to the Arizona Futurity, we
suggested he travel with us in a crate in a van. She wouldn't do that, so
she borrowed her son's car, and carried an empty box to put over the
steering wheel when ever she stopped. That worked for a short time. On our
return trip we drove in caravan stopping together to eat.
She put the empty box over the steering wheel as usual, all seemed well
until we heard a horn honking. She went to the window to look out as she had
parked where she could see the car. There he was big as life with his black
behind sitting on the horn. She turned and was ready to go get him when he
gave her "the look" and in one swoop tore the leather armrest off of the
front seat!
A few month later we were planning on going to the Denver National. We
wanted to take Thor, he would be in Novice dogs and we felt he had gotten
over his destructive puppyhood antic's. We flew from San Francisco to
Denver. He was in a borrowed McKee collapsible metal crate.
When we arrived in Denver we weren't able to de-plane in the usual timely
manner. We finally were told that the cargo hold had to be suddenly closed
because a BIG German Shepherd met the cargo guys at the dog when they opened
it. You guessed it Thor!
My husband went to assist in getting him off the plane. They happily agreed
to that.
Later when people were getting their luggage some of the luggage was
damaged. We felt Thor had done that also, so we spoke with the airline
baggage people telling them our dog may have been responsible. One passenger
looking at his golf bag, said "No dog could have done that", and walked off
in a huff, and making statements about the airline. We tried to talk to him,
he wouldn't listen.
To this day I don't know what ever came of it. The only thing I know is that
after that we knew we weren't going to travel with that dog again.We would
show him, if he would ride with us and his owner was there to take him home.
It wasn't too many months and or trips that we all agreed to retire him. He
retired before he was 2 with a few points at local all breeds. But he never
changed.
At home if the phone rang too many times to suit him, he would knock it off
the hook and bark into it. His owner discovered that after several people
told her that they can't reach her by phone, They get a barking dog. Yup,
Thor again.
He was a good dog, sound, yet protective when need be. His owner was a
single mom who had a 8-9 year old daughter. Thor worshiped that child. Se
had 2 or 3 older children(adults) who did not live with her, but did have
access to the house. One night one of the older married girls came into the
house, she had been there many times before.On  this night she was wearing a
blonde wig. She entered unannounced, no one was home. He came charging at
her, no way was she getting in. She told us she pulled that wig off in a
hurry and said "Thor! it's me!" She said he dropped to the floor totally
embarrassed, then greeted her with kisses to make up for his mistaken
identity.
Those were the days my friends...I thought they'd never end.

Beryl Eshom
Arlee GAD
Davis, Ca.