[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The WDA only exists through the GSDCA

  • From: MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 15:48:19 EDT

A LOT of things have changed in 20 years Diane.  A LOT!

I can't lie...some clubs still train this way (I attended one of them for a
couple months, and felt them borderline abusive...I didn't participate in SchH
for two years).  But the club I belong to now?  They are absolutely GREAT.
They are fair, they use motivational methods whenever possible, they are kind,
and they are good people.

People advert with pictures of bitework because...that's exciting.  It's not
so exciting for people to see a dog walking through a field with his nose
down, or throwing out his front as he heels down the trial field.

Does schutzhund attract a more aggressive group of people?  Maybe.
Personally I wouldn't so much say "aggressive" as I would "forward" (Blunt) and
highly
determined.  It is not an easy breed test/sport to participate in.  I'm
working VERY hard to get Strauss' BH this summer, but now that's looking like
that
won't happen (mostly because I can't find anybody to tattoo his blasted ear!!).

While training for the BH, we also train for some parts of the SchH I, and I
can't lie...that bitework is a helluva lotta fun!  I LOVE it!  I love it not
because I'm aggressive (far from...), but because it's exciting, and I love
seeing my dog's natural abilities coming out!  I love learning things about my
dog that I didn't know (how nervy he is, how his civil drive is...he hasn't
been
worked in defense yet). Strauss' favorite part of the sport is tracking, so I
acknowledge that and try and work him in it, but bitework is exciting.

I don't know what the charges against Ken are, and I won't ask, because I'm a
member of neither org, but I can say that Evan is right.  If thing are as bad
as what I seem to be hearing, it reflects badly on the WDA, the GSDCA, and
schutzhund as a whole, which is a shame, because it really is a wonderful breed
test/sport, and I wish more people would get into it.

In a message dated 7/22/2007 11:09:50 AM Central Standard Time,
Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx writes:
that was a good 20 years ago and i
have never forgotten that little bitch or what was done to her in the name of
"sport".

- Jackie

Marcato Shepherds
Where it's about function, not flash