[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The WDA only exists through the GSDCA

  • From: Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx
  • To: ELG440@xxxxxxx, sally@xxxxxxxxxxx, PAGAIRS@xxxxxxx, cyndy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 13:00:50 EDT

In a message dated 7/22/07 3:30:19 PM !!!First Boot!!!, ELG440@xxxxxxx writes:

> I can't help thinking that any club with its' basis on attack work might
> tend to attrack a more aggressive membership.  Before anyone tells me how
> gentile and controlled the schutzhund dogs are, I would suggest they look at
> all
> the advertisements for the working dog sport, and tell me how many don't
> show
> the bite work?  Accepting this aspect of our sport is new to the AKC. They
> may
> have to reconsider it, with the actions now taking place.

evan brings up a VERY valid point.  let me say from the start that i am not
nor have i ever been a member of the wda and i have only the most rudimentary
knowledge of the workings of that organization.  that being said, i've had only
2 personal experiences with the wda and the schutzhund world in general.

first, the late dr. al denman, former president of the wda, was my dentist
from the time i was a child.  he and i had many discussions about gsds and i
always came away shaking my head.  he basically scoffed the american gsd as a
soft, pathetic imitation of the "real" thing, the german bred dog; they were
tougher, they bit harder, they were, therefore, more sound.  needless to say,
he
and i never saw to agree on the subject and, for al, the american dog remained
useless.  he led me to my 2nd experience.

there was a SchH trial/breed survey being held locally.  i had never been to
such an event so decided to go watch and brought one of my CH bitches with me
for company..  walter martin was among the guests.  i was thoroughly enjoying
the fact no one realized i spoke fluent german and the comments about my bitch
were horrendous.  i didn't want to give myself away so said nothing.  when i
saw one of the worst cases of dog abuse happen right before my eyes, IN THE
RING, i happily blew my own cover and lit into herr martin and al denman.  they
were completely surprised by my reaction and felt that the bitch in question
just needed to be tougher.  i was shocked, the abuse continued and, having seen
more than i ever wanted to see, i left.  that was a good 20 years ago and i
have never forgotten that little bitch or what was done to her in the name of
"sport".

whether or not evan is right about the mentally of those drawn to bite work,
i tend to agree with his analysis.  and, no, we don't need this for our breed.
 if this is what the wda stands for, let them continue to be an autonomous
organization.
jmo, diane
Diane Strasser
Silstra German Shepherds
"In dog years I'm dead." - Author unknown

<BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Get a sneak peek of the
all-new AOL at
http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour</HTML>