[ SHOWGSD-L ] The Temperament Test

  • From: "irrenhaus4" <irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:11:45 -0800

I have just had a long conversation with Bob Penny about temperament testing.
I have learned several things from him about this, and thought the list would
like to know the particulars.
The Parent Club temperament test is used ONLY at the National, and at all the
Futurities and Maturities.  The judges sign a contract to do the loose-lead
temperament test at these shows.  The dog is walked to a certain spot in the
ring and stopped on a loose lead.  The judge approaches the dog from six to ten
feet away in a friendly manner, and observes the way the dog accepts his
approach and a light touch. Pretty simple.

The AKC approved this test, and adopted it for their use at all-breed shows.
However the way to do the test has not been made clear to all-breed  judges, in
most cases.  The Parent Club has NOTHING to do with the tests at the all-breed
shows. The film that some of the judges get is not clear, and so we have a
problem with tests not being done correctly. The AKC is behind the tests, not
the GSDCA. We do not tell the AKC what to do, they tell us what to do.

The test that is done at our National and at our Futurity/Maturity shows should
be kept as is.  This is an important facet of judging our dogs at our GSDCA
sponsored events. No dog of correct temperament will have a problem passing
this brief part of the conformation judging.

Those of you who know Bob Penny know what a dedicated Shepherd man he is, and
has always been.  He is a 50 year Parent Club member, has been a judge and a
trainer for a long, long time. He wants only the best for our dogs.

Doris Estabrook